2 month post op raised scar. Is it normal? (Photo)

I'm about 2 months post op and I'm wondering if this raised webbed scar is normal for the amount of time I've been healing. My doc said to massage and I've noticed it's gone down a little but just wanted to get a second opinion. When I look normal the scar isn't visible

Upper eyelid scar

The upper eyelid is extremely responsive when it comes to scar remodelling. At 8 weeks post surgery the scar will be showing a maximal amount of thickening and pink discoloration. This can even persist for another 4-6 weeks before noticeable regression in the scar thickness takes place. But it will.

Some things you can do to assist this process and speed it along include the daily application of a thin layer of rapid-drying silicone gel. This is available under many trade names and your doctor or your pharmacist can show you what is available to you there. 

Massage and compression, which are effective on scars on the torso or extremities, are not practical or easily carried out in the eyelid. 

Upper eyelid scar

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you cannot see this when the eye is open, forget about it.

In particular I would not massage the eyelid to help this.  That massage can cause a permanent ptosis.   Massage should only be used on a delicate eyelid when absolutely necessary.  The scar will be at its most prominent about now, 2 months after surgery.  Time will soften its appearance.  I recommend leaving this alone and let the body heal.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon