1year post op : Ultra sound recommendation ? (photo)

Hello Doctors : I am 1 year post and my breasts are soft and beautiful and I am very happy . I do high impact cardio and I am experiencing pain on my right breast: sharp shooting pain with some burning sensations as well . Called my PS office and was told to go see my Fam Dr for cyste and ultra sounds : is this a common routine ? Or just a way to brush off old clients ? PS: I was examined by my fam Dr and pain is coming from rib cage not the breast Ultra sound are fine ! Thanks !

Pain after breast augmentation

Dear Brownsugar79,

Thank you for your clinical post and photo. Congratulations on your breast augment surgery. You appear to have a very nice shape figure with the breast-waist-hip ratio as being excellent.

High impact activity and exercise can put strain on the breast implant, pocket and lining called the breast capsule. Even the soft capsule and stretch can cause pain and the type of pain you are experiencing sounds like a tugging on the breast capsule during high impact aerobic activity and the shooting, burning discomfort can be a symptom of a stretched or irritated sensory nerve causing dysesthesia or pain.

Painful dysesthesia is managed with massage and desensitization and sometimes medication called Gabapentin. In your case I would certainly visit with a plastic surgeon. I would review an ultrasound to ensure there is no seroma or fluid in the pocket and the implant is intact. If there is no pocket abnormality, the implant is intact then there’s simply a neuritic discomfort and massage and visitation perhaps to a pain specialist for trigger point neuroma sensitivity injection may be your best option. Ensure from your surgeon there are no fixations sutures for the inframammary fold as this may also be tugging on an inframammary fold fixation suture, which would need to come out now.

I hope this information is of some assistance and best of luck.

To find out more, please visit the link below.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

1year post op : Ultra sound recommendation ?

Thank you for your question. It is a good idea to see your physician and get a diagnostic exam to ensure no major abnormality or disease of the breast or the chest area. You want to make sure there is nothing else is going on. Also contact your plastic surgeons again and express your concern, he/she is ultimately responsible for your care and knows your situation and the operation performed intimately.  If your surgeon still do not make the effort to see you, get a second opinion with a board certified plastic surgeon. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.
An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon
is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Pain after Breast Augmentation

It is not uncommon to experience intermittent pain as you describe even one year after surgery from irritation of tissue near sensory nerves. Your surgeon is just being cautious. Your photos demonstrate a great result, so follow your surgeon's advice, good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Shooting and burning pain 1 year post-op from breast augmentation with intense activity

Hello Brownsugar79 and thank you for your question.  Although your final breast shape is pretty much formed by 6 months post-op, the scar tissue may remodel for up to 2 years. Also, with your high level physical activity, it is possible that you have irritated or torn part of your capsule. From your picture, you appear to have had a great result and I do not see anything that is alarming; it is not uncommon in some women to experience new pain with activity if the scar tissue that forms around implants gets challenged with stretching or other forces. Your surgeon gave good advice in having you get a diagnostic exam to ensure no major abnormality or disease of the breast.  I think you should contact their office and update them If you were my patient, I would want to examine you and make sure there is nothing else going on. If you call your surgeon and they still don't make the effort to see you, I think it is very reasonable to seek a second opinion with a board certified plastic surgeon.  I hope this helps!

Dr. Sean Kelishadi

Sean Kelishadi, MD