Is it normal to feel heavier and look bigger after a mastopexy?

I was suppose to have a reduction with my breast lift. My PS just lifted me. Now I feel heavier and look bigger. It's only been a week, I'm suppose to be a b. So far I'm still a D. I'm pretty upset with the results thus far. I felt actually lighter before.

I'm sorry you feel worse, not better, about your recent surgery. But let me reassure you that your surgeon only "took away" tissue, even with mastopexy only. You cannot have a breast lift without removal of at least an ounce of skin per breast, and depending on the individual patient circumstances and goals, sometimes more tissue is removed. Nothing was added (except bleeding, bruising, and tissue fluid--swelling).

Thus, for now, all the extra heaviness and feeling larger has to do with that surgical swelling, all of which will resolve over time. If you give your surgeon the benefit of the doubt right now, I suspect you will be happy with your results. You cannot have revisionary surgery for at least 6 months anyway, so be patient and anticipate happiness, not anger. Of course you felt lighter before--you did not have all the swelling you now feel. This takes weeks to reabsorb, and complete healing takes 6-12 months. Hang in there! best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Feeling Bigger and Heavier After Breast Lift

When considering the healing process, the patient will go home in a bra or with only light dressings over the incision lines. Sutures are dissolvable but an ending knot, if present is removed within 1-2 weeks. Initial discomfort is easily controlled with oral medication. Light activities may be started in 7-10 days.

If you do feel as though you have excessive swelling or are questioning the details of the procedure taken by your surgeon, you should contact him immediately and schedule an appointment in order to make sure that all of your questions are answered in full. Continue to allow some more time for healing, and I wish you the best!