I am getting a tummy tuck and lipo. What are the best garments to purchase for recovery?

Tummy Tuck - Post Op Compression Binder

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your upcoming procedure. I recommend wearing a compression garment for 4 - 6 weeks following tummy tuck surgery. Marena makes quality post operative support garments. You should also follow your plastic surgeon's advice regarding level of physical activity and use of a compression garment. Hope this helps!

Your Surgeon's advice

Ask your surgeon. There are many opinions on this issue. Some are nearly the opposite of another. 

Best Regards,
John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Best garments for recovery

Dear Ameerah30,Your surgeon should provide or recommend which garments use use immediately after surgery. These "first stage" garments typically zip up or velcro so that you can comfortably get in and out of them to shower and are typically crotchless. You want some support from the garment, but you want to avoid one that is too tight which could injure the healing tissue on your tummy tuck or prevent you from breathing deep.Once you have healed up a bit you can transition to a "second stage", and what type will depend on where you had your lipo. I like products like spanx that go from the lower thighs up to the ribcage and have shoulder straps so they can't roll down and impair the blood supply in the upper abdomen. You want to be sure this second stage garment goes both higher and lower than where you had your lipo. Pairing this with a compressive tank (like a Yummie Tummie or similar product) can also be nice. Be sure to run your options past your surgeon so they can approve them. Good luck with your procedures!

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Post-Op Garments for Abdominal Surgery

Most of my patients will be placed in an abdominal binder, which they will wear the first week. There is usually a fair amount of swelling and the binder should be opened several times a day so that there are no pressure points. After the first 7 to 10 days the patient is placed in an elastic garment for compression over the next six weeks. If you are concerned about what garments you may be recommended to wear, then the best thing to do would be to have a quick discussion about it and make sure that you all get the ones that will be best for your healing process. Best of luck!

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your decision to proceed wi a tummy tuck. There are several companies that make great garments. It is best to ask your board certified plastic surgeon to see what they prefer. I highly recommend you wear a garment for 6-8 weeks post op. Good luck.

Compression garments

An abdominal binder is useful compression after the tummy tuck.  Depending where you are having the liposuction, it may be advisable to use a different type of garment similar to a body suit that will provide support to the abdomen as well as the areas that were suctioned.  Your surgeon should be able to assist you in ordering a garment that will be correct for you.

Camille Cash, MD

Garments for TT

Thank you for your question.  Often an abdominal binder will provide good compression of the abdomen and the liposuction-contoured areas if they are in the same area, otherwise a specialized garment might be needed.  Your surgeon can advise.