I'm a 24yo male. I noticed that my hair started thinning on top, which I now see my scalp. What are things I could try?

My hair keeps thinning and I'm a 24yo male.

Hair thinning in 24 year old

If your hair is thinning I would recommend seeing a hair transplant specialist that can evaluate your scalp and your hair loss. If it is due to male pattern baldness (AGA), then medications such as Propecia or Rogaine can help.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Options for hair thinning in 24 M

The most likely cause of hair loss in a 24 year old male - by far - is male pattern hair loss. Other causes are possible too, but much much less likely. 

I strongly recommend that individuals with hair loss seek professional advice from a physician knowledgable about hair loss in order to come up with a short term and long term plan. 

At age 24, hair transplant surgery is not a good option (especially if the so called medical options have not been explored first).

Medical options for male pattern hair loss include:

1. minoxidil (topcial)
2. finasteride (pills)
3. low level laser
4. platelet rich plasma 

Be sure to speak to your physician about these options. 

Hair loss treatment options in young man

First you must get a diagnosis of your hair loss. A consultation with your doctor or a hair loss expert clinician should achieve that
on the assumption that it is make pattern hair loss,then it sounds like your priority should be maintainence at this time
Regaine, Propecia and low level light or laser are the treatments that have published scientific backing. However you will need to keep the treatments going to maintain results. Your goal should be to stop further loss. Once that is achieved then you can look at restoration if you are suitable

Bessam Farjo, MBChB
Manchester Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair loss in young male.

The only product that I have seen to give significant hair regrowth in the crown and top of the head is Propecia. I would not advise any surgery at this time until you know whether you will have enough hair left to complete a hair restoration process. When the time comesyou should investigate both transplants and the Fleming Mayer flap procedure to see which one will give you the results you are looking for. 

Early androgenic alopecia

You may be experiencing antigenic alopecia.
The simplest treatment would be Rogain 5%.
Look into DHT blocker Propecia. It carries some side effects. PRP has been studied and may be appropriate for you.
A good exam by a experienced hair expert will guide you in your selection of therapy.
Hope this helps.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon