Need suggestions and help for fat transfer removal?

When I was 19 (ten years ago) I had a fat transfer done to my cheeks by dr Richard Ellenbogen in LA. It was an awful experience. He was completely compassionless. Now, at 29 I'm wondering if there is a way to reverse this. I never got used to the chipmunk cheeks. I am looking for any specialists who have done this before in the LA area, as well as what the suggested procedure would be. I feel that it's possible he may have put fat in my jawline as well without informing me on his plans.

Doctor Answers 2

Reversal a facial fat transfer

There is no way to remove the actual grafted fat since it's diffusely in bedded in your own natural tissues.

At times there may be a single firm nodule that can be directly surgically excised. Sometimes natural fat can be removed with liposuction to compensate for previously grafted fat.

Another option is to add volume in other areas to create a more balanced look.

There are no experts in reversing facial fat transfer.

Many plastic surgeons will be willing to work with you but this will definitely require an in person consultation to get an accurate assessment to see what can actually be done.

I would start making a list of plastic surgeons who focus more on facial aesthetics and start making consultations.


Mats Hagstrom M.D.

San Francisco Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

Getting Rid of Chipmunk Cheeks-Fat Transfer Removal, Fillers, Venus Legacy, Botox

I recommend a formal consultation with an expert in facial contouring. Fat removal to the cheeks is a fairly straight forward procedure and they should go. I typically have patients do venus legacy treatments and fillers after implant removal to keep the space filled and tight. The jawline can be reshaped with Botox, if necessary.  See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 165 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.