More than a month since my rhinoplasty and there is a hard bone like bump on my nose. I don't know what this is? (Photos)

I had my rhinoplasty done more than a month ago and I like the results but there is a bump on my nose that is hard as bone and if I feel above that the bump it almost goes in....what is this??! Thanks ....and I have an appointment with my surgeon in 3 days

Hard Bump After Rhinoplasty

Based on the location, it is most likely an irregularity of the nasal bone.  There are several possible explanations for a "bump" on the profile following rhinoplasty including imperfect surgical technique, persistent swelling of the overlying skin, new bone growth stimulated by rasping, or a visible graft of cartilage or soft tissue. Hopefully your surgeon will provide the answer and help you understand the timing of any correction that may be necessary.  Glad your are happy overall.  Best wishes.

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post Rhinoplasty Bump

A complex rhinoplasty (e.g. a re-do, revision, or reconstructive rhinoplasty) is commonly associated with a prolonged recovery, because it usually takes extra time for the tissues to settle down.  If previous scar tissue was being addressed, this can easily create short-term lumps, bumps, or irregularities that could still be in the process of regressing for several months.  But you should feel free to discuss this with your plastic surgeon, just to make sure.

Lyle M. Back, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Hard bone like bump after rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photographs. This is a very common complaint after Rhinoplasty and usually represents swelling of the lining over the bone called Periosteum. I usually have my patients massage this area four times a day and apply tape to compress the area for up to three months. 
Best of luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

1 month post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Bone vs swelling

It could be bone, it could be swelling, it could be a graft(?).  Without being your surgeon it is hard to say.

There may be some residual bony prominence on your dorsum.  More than likely there is residual swelling present and you should wait a few months to determine if anything needs to be done.  If so, rasping the dorsum in the office can be an option.  Best wishes, Dr. T. 

Healing post rhinoplasty

I would bring it up with your surgeon but be patient. Sometimes there can be small callus's that form where the bone was broken and it slowly smooths out over time as the bone remodels. And sometimes small bumps that form can be smoothed out in the office easily. Just depends on the bump. If the bump doesn't go away in 9 months or so, if it bothers you, then and only then consider a revision.  Good luck!

Samir Undavia, MD
Princeton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post rhinoplasty

Dear Socraw,

The photos definitely show a bump on the dorsum of the nose from the side view. Some times for 6 weeks or so, especially after having the dorsum reduced, you can expect soft tissue swelling - this is soft and with light pressure goes away - this will go away as the swelling abates. What you are describing is a hard swelling which would could mean that the bony dorsum has not been reduced sufficiently. I would bring this to the attention of your surgeon and have him evaluate your nose. All the best

Gideon Maresky, MD
South Africa Plastic Surgeon

More than a month since my rhinoplasty and there is a hard bone like bump on my nose. I don't know what this is?

The dorsal line of the nose post-operatively must be smooth, straight, without irregularities and of adequate and appropriate width. Anything short of that in most instances- is unacceptable. That is not to say it is a fault of the Surgeon because there could be other factors in a post-op period that can attribute to a less than acceptable dorsal line. If it persists- you may need a revision. It could be just swelling, but physical exam would help determine this in which case some non-surgical techniques could resolve this