I purchased a bottle of Excipial, for bruising. Does it work or is it just another "Snake Oil' remedy? I can't find any reviews.

Bruising from Fillers

Arnica is usually the best oral supplement to prevent bruising. If you are bruised from your injections, then the V-Beam laser is most effective.  Best, Dr. Green

Topical brusing remedies

Topical and oral remedies for bruising have shown some minimal effect in anecdotal reports.  In general, these products and others including arnica montana and bromelain can't hurt.  Although the scientific evidence is still not great, many physicians and patients swear by them.   For significant bruising after injectables, a vascular laser can be used to speed recovery if done correctly.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Excipial

Thank you for your question.  Excipial is new to the US, but has been in Europe for a number of years.  Galderma the makers of Cetaphil brough it over here at the end of 2015 to position as their "therapeutic" line to repair the most damaged skin vs Cetaphil which they are positioning as a more generalized everyday product.  Excipial for bruising is an oral supplement designed for purpura that includes bioflavonoids, Vitamin C and antioxidants - this has not been specifically tested for FDA new drug application and instead is being marketed as an OTC product.  That being said there is some literature to support its efficacy, however in my experience the OTC purpura treatments currently available work but only in certain people and its hard to predict who they are going to work for. These include the products both orally and topically, containing Arnica, Bromelain, etc. such as Dermend.  So I would give it a try and see if it works for you, if it works thats great continue to use it if it doesn't i would probably try another product!  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon