Was I botched? Will my labia ever look normal? (photos)

I had trim labiaplasty 8 days ago and. Ow the stitches have split on the left side. The top also looks like a chunk then it goes to nothing on the right. Is that just swelling? Was I botched?! Please help I am panicking and going back to the surgeon Monday to have it looked at.

Labiaplasty: Postoperative Results

Thank you for your question.  Swelling is common after labiaplasty with the amount dependent in part based on the time since surgery.  The final result will be seen after several months, which at that time one can evaluate if a secondary surgery would be recommended.  I would recommend contacting the surgeon who performed the original surgery to evaluate your current condition.   Best of luck.     

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Cleveland Urologist

Was I botched? Will my labia ever look normal?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Due to your soft tissue swelling it is difficult to offer definite advice on your long-term results but it appears that your left labia incision has separated and that there is remaining asymmetry in the volume and size of your left and right labia.  The best current course of treatment is to allow your body time to full heal from this procedure before pursuing any revision surgery.  Hope this helps.

Because you are only eight days out from surgery, it is impossible to tell the final outcome and whether your surgery was "botched".  Swelling is normal and expected after surgery to some degree which is what you are currently experiencing. It is best to allow the area to heal for a few months before deciding if you are happy with the final outcome of the surgery.   Many patients are concerned after surgery because of the appearance immediately after but it is important to remember that the area takes time to heal.  Even in situations where incisions separate some, with the appropriate local wound care, they will typically heal without issues.  Continue regular follow up with your surgeon as you have been doing, and follow their recommendations for care of the area. If after a few months you are still unhappy with the result, return to your surgeon to discuss your options or seek a second opinion.

Can't tell final outcome at 1 week post-op!

...Too early to judge. Looks like a normal recovery sofar, but you need to wait until AT LEAST 6 weeks post-op before you can get an idea (takes 3-4 months for full recovery.)  Send us a pic then if dissatisfied.

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

Swelling is very common after labiaplasty and you obviously have a lot of swelling, but this can be normal. This swelling can distort the tissue quite extensively. You should never make a judgement about the final appearance of the labia within the first few weeks after a labiaplasty had been performed. Best to wait. After 6 weeks, it will look close to what you're going to end up with, but the best recommendation is to wait 3-6 months before you make a final assessment. At that time, if you are unhappy with the appearance or there is some asymmetry, you should then discuss this with your surgeon to see if further adjustments need to be made.   

I personally prefer my method of doing labiaplasty procedures using a modified posterior wedge technique. It can give you very good symmetry of the labia, it looks the best aesthetically, and postoperatively patients experience less pain in my experience. In addition, many patients have more satisfying sex since the sensitive thin delicate labial edges are left intact. You can learn more on the link below. Good luck. 

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Labiaplasty wounds and healing

well fist I'm very sorry that you're experiencing problems like this. Unfortunately anyone can experience wound healing problems for a number of reasons.  You have some separation of your surgical wounds and this is not perfectly ok. I strongly suggest you see your surgeon to get the best advice on what to do next to minimize problems. In many cases of just one or two stitches have come loose than things may heal well depending upon where these problems are. In other cases of things are more significant than this can be a major setback. For best healing of your surgery you should always follow up closely with your surgeon and choose him or her wisely. 

Nikesh K. Patel, MD
Freehold Plastic Surgeon

I can understand your concern.  You still have a lot of early post surgical changes that will take time to resolve.  Follow your surgeons instructions and you will notice that the results will be more acceptable as the swelling subsides.  Thankfully the labia heals well even with minor healing set backs.  Good luck with your recovery!

Saira Saini, MD
Fayetteville Plastic Surgeon

Just too early

There is a lot of swelling around the incisions and therefore it is not possible to properly evaluate the final result.

I would follow all post op instructions carefully and  re-evaluate in 6 to 8 weeks.

Too soon to judge your labiaplasty result

Thanks for sharing, but I encourage you to be patient and allow yourself to finish healing before concluding that you're dissatisfied with your results. You are only 1 week out from surgery so you are at peak swelling. The suture release is not a big deal, since this will heal naturally without any intervention. Once all swelling is reduced and you're finished healing you may be happy with your results.

Be sure to make your surgeon aware of your concerns and follow your post-op restrictions.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Aguirre Specialty Care - Pelvic Surgery & Intimate Aesthetics®

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

8 days post op labiaplasty

Thanks for sharing.  It does appear that your incision has split ( this is not aspect is not a botched labiaplasty) this is simply an unfortunate situation where your incision has not held.  Please attempt to stop pulling on it ( human nature to do so to look at it)  this should allow it to heal faster.  This will heal form the deepest part of the split to the surface. There is nothing your surgeon can do about it at this time.  Sutures will not work nor will they hold so I would not recommend attempting to suture. 

Your surgery is difficult to assess as like all photos they are 2 dimensional and they do not always substitute for an in person exam. Perhaps I am not looking at the photos correctly but my assessment is 1) your incision has split on your left side 2) I do not see any labia on your right hand side 3) you have lateral redundant prepuce persistent on the left side 4) there is a lack of symmetry between the right and left labia.  Even if the incision heals well I think you might be left side heavy when compared to the right ( but this is my opinion based upon these photos and being only 1 week after surgery.  I would recommend you: 1) contact your MD for his/her evaluation and recommendations 2) sit back and allow the area to heal on its own over the next 6 weeks 3) if you are unhappy with the results seek a surgeon who has experience revising conditions like yours. 

John R Miklos MD

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai