Injection of fat for BBL?

In regard to injection of the fat for a BBQ, I have received some mixed information. Is it better to inject the fat into the muscle of the buttock or above the muscle of the buttock? Is it significantly more dangerous to inject into the muscle? Does one have better long term results than the other? Is one better than the other for thin patients with limited fat supply?

Where is the fat injected for my Brazilian Butt Lift, is it into the muscle or above it?

This is a great question as butt augmentation has evolved over the past several years.  The fat is great for your augmentation as your own natural body tissue is used for the augmentation.  However for the fat to survive over the long-term it has to be integrated into the surrounding tissues.  This happens over the first several weeks after your surgery.  The fat is a graft and grafts survive by having blood vessels grow into them over time.  With all of this said the fat survives best when it is surround by good health tissue.  Since the fat has to be surrounded by good healthy tissue there is a limit to how much fat can be injected into any one specific area (above the muscle or in the muscle).  The majority of my patients want a significant augmentation with 800cc to 1100cc transferred to each side.  For this fat to survive it needs to be dispersed throughout the buttock.  I typically inject the fat into the muscles and above the muscle as this maximizes the amount of fat that can placed in the buttock and have the best chance of survival.  I also typically inject fat into the hip area as well during my butt augmentations as this will help improve the overall shape of the buttock.  There is limited muscle in this area and thus the fat is mostly injected into the soft tissue of the buttock.  Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that performs a high volume of butt implants about your surgery. 

Best place to transfer fat for BBL

This is a great question! There are a lot of different BBL techniques being used, but what I have found gives my patients the best and most long lasting results is to transfer the fat in multiple levels – below, within and above the muscle. You should find a board certified plastic surgeon who has significant experience in performing Brazilian Butt Lift procedures to make sure your procedure is not only safe, but also gives you the results you are looking for. Good luck!

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD

Injection of fat for BBL?

I generally inject fat both into the muscle as well as above the muscle. This may improve the survival of the fat because the muscle has a rich blood supply. In addition, by layering the fat, you are minimizing the possibility of having the injected fat cells being too close to one another, which may compromise cell viability. 

George Lefkovits, MD

Dr Kayser

Thank you for your question. The concept of fat transfer is like planting seeds in a garden; they have to be distributed evenly and in healthy soil. Muscle is a very vascular environment which improves the amount of fat that one can place and also the retention and volume of fat as well. Because of this, injecting into muscle is often an ideal location. However, because muscle is so vascular, it also has more blood vessels, many of which are very large. The most dire complication during that can occur during fat yransfer, or the injection of any solid material including all the fillers such as restylane and juvederms for example, is the injection into an artery or vein. When this occurs, it is called an embolism and can result in catastrophic events such as blockage of the veins or arteries to organs such as the heart and lungs or even to the vessels which supply the skin to areas that are supplied by it. This can occlude the vessels resulting in the complete loss of tissues or even death itself. Unfortunately, there have been reports of embolic events resulting in death because of Brazilian butt lift fat transfer injections. The vascular supply in the muscle is very rich and this can result in dangerous complications. Although some people do inject into the muscle, it is likely more prudent to stay superficial unless you know exactly where you are going. It's also important to understand that just transferring large volumes of fat are not necessarily the most important aspect of contouring.  Shaping the butt also involves addressing the irregularities around it - such as the hips and thighs - so with liposuction alone, changes to the contour of the buttocks will result even though fat may not have necessarily been added.  Indeed, over grafting the buttocks can make it appear distorted and unnatural. I would certainly suggest that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in these methods. Please feel free to view the video link  below  on a patient's Brazilian butt lift story and also the many videos on our website discussing the concepts of fat transfer as well. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. Dr. Kayser - Detroit

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon