I recently had gynecomastia surgery and the contour of my chest isn't flat. I have hard lumps in my chest. Any suggestions?

I want to know how long will the hard lumps take to go away and after they go away will my chest flatten out, because as of now I don't like my results.

Lumps Following Gynecomastia Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Fullness and Lumps After Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi jsmith14,

Thank you for posting. If you are early in the healing process (first 4 to 8 weeks), then it is not uncommon to have swelling or lumps in certain areas. This is especially true if you are of medium or thin build as the lumps would be easier to feel. Some explanations of the lumps could be scar tissue formation, fat necrosis, or residual glandular tissue.  As for the fullness, this could be swelling or residual fatty or breast tissue.

I would advise that you keep in close contact with your surgeon as any recommendations would be based on a physical examination as well as how far out you are from surgery.

Best regards,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Lumpiness after Gynecomastia Operation

The best opinion can only be done after an exam but here is some general information that might apply to you:

LUMPINESS:
As you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. It takes several months for this to resolve in most cases. See your plastic surgeon for an evaluation and advice.

It would be very helpful to see a photo and also get more details of your surgery such as how long ago was the procedure.  In general, I ask patients to wait 6 months before considering any revisions.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Would love to see Before and After photos.  It depends on when your surgery was done, but it may be time to get massages to expedite the healing.  Talk to your surgeon about this.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Hard lumps in chest after surgery

Unfortunately without pictures or an examination of your chest prior to surgery, it is difficult to know whether or not the hard lumps are residual glandular tissue or just bruising or swelling after your surgery.  It takes a few months for healing, and so it would be best for you to visit your plastic surgeon for regular check ups to make sure you recovering normally.