Is anyone else self conscious about the consultation?

II want bigger boobs because I'm self conscious about mine after having two kids. I'm excited for the outcome but the thought of the consultations and exams before have me nervous. I feel like someone is saying " oh you're uncomfortable having your shirt off because your boobs are small, well face your fears head on" :P I don't even let my husband see me without a padded bra now that they're "deflated" Any advice for getting over the anxiety of being naked for the consultation?

Absolutely! But your anxiety can work in your favor.

Many women feel extremely anxious about showing their breasts to a plastic surgeon during a consultation. It’s a normal reaction to baring a part of your body to a complete stranger. To help lessen the effects of your anxiety, you may want to prepare a list of questions in the weeks leading up to your consultation to avoid forgetting something during your appointment. You can also use your anxiety as a gauge once you arrive at the plastic surgeon’s office. If you begin to relax and feel comfortable with the office staff and the plastic surgeon, that could be a sign that you may work well with that surgeon's practice.  

Consultation Nervousness

Your concerns are shared by many patients thinking of having Plastic Surgery. We always visit with our patients first, before having them change clothes for the exam. It gives women a chance to get to know me and my staff a bit before the exam. Many of my patients say that they were so relieved by our process of consultation they tell me it was much better than they had anticipated. This should be a great procedure for you from start to finish. Make sure you find a surgeon who wants to spend the time and listen to your concerns and fears.

James A. Hoffman, MD
Saint Paul Plastic Surgeon

This is a very common concern.  I'd start by telling your surgeon and start the consultation while dressed and have your questions mostly answered.  Then the exam can take place and zero in on your specific situation more precisely and quickly.  Most experienced surgeons will recognize and address this situation well.  

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD

Consultation Anxiety

With the exception of a minority of people, most women are very anxious before their consultation. After all, the sheer fact that they have to tell AND show a stranger their most embarrassing features is quite intimidating and all Plastic surgeons recognize it. I would prepare by picking the right surgeon for you, having a list of question you can refer to and going with your husband or a close friend who will both listen and be a sounding board for you on the way back. A lot of information will be discussed and most people cannot process all of it. That is why another person there will hear more. The more you prepare the better you will feel.

Dr. Peter A. Aldea
Memphis, TN

Thank you for your question. It would be quite unnatural to not have some anxiety about an impending consultation and examination, but i applaud you for reaching out for reassurance. Be confidant that you have made the right decision for you and you alone. Entering into the decision for surgery with a positive mindset will make the process that much easier.  Remain at ease and enjoy the process and your ASPS board certified plastic surgeon should make the process as smooth and relaxing as possible.  Best wishes. 

Anxiety is normal when consulting with a physician

Everyone becomes anxious when visiting with a physician, not just a plastic surgeon.  I know I get anxious when I have a doctor's appointment.  This is a normal response, there is the fear of the unknown, embarrassment and exposing yourself to a stranger.

When scheduling your consultation, get on line and do your research, find a plastic surgeon that you can connect with, (age, sex, experience, location, on line reviews, etc).  Schedule your consultation and go with your best friend (male or female, spouse or non spouse) for moral support.  Your friend does not have to be present during the actual physical exam, if you want, but 95% of the consultation time is talking and looking at pictures WITH YOUR CLOTHES ON!

You should get the "warm fuzzies" with your plastic surgeon, if you don't, look for another one, comfort with your surgeon will help your anxiety.  Remember, this is a highly trained doctor that is there to help you, not judge you, and I can guarantee you that they have seen and treated much worse problems than yours.  That is why you need to choose a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Anxiety over plastic surgery consultation

After doing plastic surgery for over 20 years, I can tell you that most women (and men) are nervous when it comes to the initial consult.  You are allowing a stranger to see intimate body parts that you don't even want your significant other to see.  I can tell most people are nervous about this because before the patient exposes themselves, I always listen to their heart to see if I detect any abnormal rhythms or murmurs.  Most everyone has a rapid pulse which indicates to me that they are nervous.  So, you are in good company.  It is normal what your are feeling.  Rest assured that if you are in your consult and decide you don't want to be examined, you can stop the consult at any time.  No one is going to tie you down.  But, your PS won't be able to help you unless a proper exam is performed.  Instead of focusing on the negative aspects of the body parts you don't like, focus on how great it will feel once those parts are enhanced and you are proud of the way you will look!  

You are not alone. There are many modest women who come in for a consultation. You need to know that we are here to help you and that the consultation will be done privately and professionally. The breast exam will only take a couple of minutes. The remainder of the time is spent with you covered or dressed. Many studies have shown that a breast augmentation improves self confidence and self esteem. Good luck!

Hello. The key to a great consultation is comfort. Consider a pre-consultation with a surgeon that you are comfortable with. During that meeting you may discuss your goals without being naked. You might seek a female PS with whom may be someone that you feel more confident about discussing your breast concerns. 

Hello and thank you for your question. It is very common to be nervous about this. As a surgeon, I try my best to get to know my patients first in the consultation before doing an examination.  It is so important to try to make patients feel comfortable during this vulnerable moment.

As a patient, it is very important that you thoroughly research your surgeon before committing to surgery. It is a good idea to research your surgeon's educational background, online reviews, before & after pictures, and speak with anyone who you may know who has had surgery with that surgeon. During your consultation, make sure that you don't feel rushed and make sure that you have adequate time with your surgeon and not just their patient coordinator or nurses. If the majority of your consultation is spent with someone other than the surgeon, this is usually not a good sign. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified expert surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD