Will breast massage really help soften breasts and help implants fall into pocket?

I had 560cc HP gummy bear silicone implants dual plane placement. I am one week post op. My Dr. suggested starting the massages immediately. He also would like me to lay on my belly for 20 minutes before going to bed every night.

In my experience (35 years) I have found anecdotally that breast implant displacement exercises speed softening  of the implant and also importantly reduce the duration of discomfort after breast augmentation. There is no scientific study that demonstrates this benefit. The capsule around the implant begins to form at 3 days after surgery. My view is that massage of the implant can stretch this capsule and keep the pocket large which allows the implant to move freely.

Again no scientific proof so you will hear from those who do not agre.

Sage really help soften breasts and help implants fall into pocket?

Thank you for the question. I would recommend to follow the advice of your board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Post op Massage

Thank you for your question. Each plastic surgeon will have different post op instructions that they prefer for various reasons. It is best that you have your own Plastic Surgeon advise you regarding this.

All the best

Breast augmentation - does massage actually help?

Thank you for asking about your breast implants.

Generally we don't recommend massage after gummy bear implants-
They have a textured surface which keeps them in place.
But your surgeon may have a reason for giving you these instructions so please call and ask him.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Massage

I like my patients to perform gentle massage. Intuitively to me it makes sense to keep the pocket open but there is no scientific evidence supporting this. For textured implants this does not make sense to me.

I recommend implant massage for smooth implants in order the try to keep the implants soft but there is no scientific evidence to support this.  Massage also gets the patient used to how the implant feels and how the breast feels with the implant.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Massage following breast augmentation

I am concerned that you will run the risk of causing the implants to rotate. I would always follow the instructions of your surgeon, but it may be worth questioning whether it isn't a little early to be starting massage. I would always suggest waiting until 3 months post-op before starting.

James Murphy, FRCS(Plast)
Manchester Plastic Surgeon