Recently Bellafill has FDA approval as a facial filler. Is this a good filler for under eye hollows and/or tear troughs? (Photo)

Artefill or Bellafill for Under the Eyes or Tear Trough Area

An excellent question. Artefill was rebranded to Bellafill in December, 2014 and it has been FDA approved as a filler since 2006. This is just 4 years after Botox was approved for wrinkle relaxation, so it has been around in the market for quite a while. Like all fillers and many medications, it is approved for one or two applications (in this case the nasolabial folds and acne scars) but there are many other uses or places where it can be injected in an off label application.

As a tear trough filler, Bellafill or Artefill is terrific. There are many patients who have wonderful results and who do not have to keep going back on a regular basis to get refilled. If a micro-cannula is used, Bellafill can be very precisely placed and the bruising and swelling is minimal as compared to a needle technique. You can get swelling a bruising under the eye that in certain patients can last a lot longer than one would expect but invariably this will go away.

I have added a safety video for you and a link to many before and after photos of Bellafill used under the eyes.

I hope that helps.

All the best.

Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Eye hollows/tear troughs

Treatment of eye hollows is considered an off-label use of Bellafill.  Given the physical properties of this filler, I would not recommend using it under the eyes. Most importantly, if you do choose to have filler injected into the tear troughs, be sure you go to a physician with a lot of experience injecting this area as it is a very difficult area to inject.

Sharon Scherl, MD
Englewood Dermatologist

Bellafill!

Bellafill for under the eye and tear tough is amazing! There are many patients who have wonderful results and who do not have to keep going back on a regular basis to get refilled. Bellafill is smooth and has a natural look!

Bellafill can be very precisely placed and the bruising and swelling is minimal. Icing the area will help with the bruising. Suggested amount of syringes can be determined based on age, collagen loss, and texture of the skin. 

I hope this helps you on your journey!:)

Chaitali Nangrani, MD
The Woodlands Family Physician

BELLAFILL UNDER THE EYES / TEAR TROUGH REGION

Bellafill is a long-lasting filler that has been FDA approved for use for the nasolabial folds and for certain types of acne scars.  Off label uses include the jawline, midface/cheeks, and marionette lines. 

Due to the thickness and other properties of Bellafill, I do not recommend its use in the tear troughs/under eye area.  I also prefer to use other fillers or implants for enhancement of the perioral (around mouth) or lip regions of the face.

Best of luck!!

Jeffrey B. Wise, MD, FACS
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bellafill for facial rejuvenation

The key thing with Bellafill injections is to see an doctor who has lots of experience in using this filler. The results and the side effects depend on so many things expecially the experience of the doctor.

Mariusz Sapijaszko, MD, FRCPC
Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon

Bellafill is an Excellent Filler for the Tear Trough

Petrinabella Thanks gain for your question.  A complete and thorough history and examination are always necessary for your best course of action.  Ask a hundred doctors get a hundred answers.  First it is important to clear up some misunderstandings:  Bellafill ( originally Artefill) was FDA approved in 2006.  This year it was the first and only filler to be approved for Acne scars. Second no filler is approved for Tear trough at this time.  That said all fillers once FDA approved can be utilized  other places on face depending upon the doctor's judgment.  All fillers can cause granulomas.  In my experience ( and I am the number one Bellafill  injector in all of Michigan, Ohio and Indiana) granulomas are more likely with other fillers in the tear trough than with Bellafill.  It is important to know the experience of others giving their opinion with this filler.    As far as Restylane, while it is a good short term filler.  it can cause granulomas and a bluish discoloration called the Tyndall effect.  This does not occur with Bellafill.  Congratulations on doing your due diligence!

Mark Berkowitz, MD
Sterling Heights Oculoplastic Surgeon

Recently Bellafill has FDA approval as a facial filler. Is this a good filler for under eye hollows and/or tear troughs

Fillers are not interchangeable. I would never inject Bellafil into that area and I ma pretty sure it warns not to do that in the product insert. The risks of granulomas is very high with that choice.

Julio Garcia, MD

Is Bellafill good filler for under eyes?

In my opinion, Bellafill is not a good filler for under the eyes.  Because the skin is very thin under the eyes, I find a soft hyaluronic acid filler (such as Restylane) works best in that area.  Bellafill is a long term filler and if any bumps develop under the eye, it can be difficult to treat them.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon