Should I look for an obgyn or plastic surgeon for vaginal rejuvenation?

I live in TN & can't find any surgeons who specialize in vaginal surgeries. Since I guess I will need to travel, which specialty would do the best work?? 

Doctor Answers 8

Vaginal Rejuvenation Specialist

Vaginal rejuvenation is best done by a surgeon who is also trained in pelvic reconstructive surgery. The reason being that one out of every three women who've delivered vaginally have pelvic floor defects. This is in addition to vaginal laxity. When pelvic floor defects are present and they are not corrected during a vaginal rejuvenation, the vaginal rejuvenation will usually fail within a few months. If they are corrected are the same time, the result will be long lasting and usually permanent. Surgeons trained in pelvic reconstructive surgery usually have a background in gynecology or urology.

Jersey City OB/GYN
4.6 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

Vaginal rejuvenation

This is an area that falls between the 2 specialities. You should look for someone who has experience performing cosmetic vaginal surgery. She must be board certified in her speciality and be comfortable discussing and describing your various options.

Laura A. Sudarsky, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

Who should perform vaginal rejuvenation

Both plastics surgeons and obgyns are qualified to perform vaginal rejuvenation surgery. However, make sure that you find a surgeon who firstly is BOARD CERTIFIED in their field and secondly performs a lot of vaginal rejuvenation procedures so that you receive safe and successful results. 

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 18 reviews


Vaginoplasty is an overlap area for both plastic surgeons and gynecologists.The most critical decision to be made in achieving the best plastic surgical result for vaginal rejuvenation is picking the most experienced and talented, that is the best, plastic surgeon or gynecologist possible. This means the most well trained and experienced in #vaginalrejuvenation. Too often, patients choose a physician based on a catchy ad, the brand name of a technique, the basis of one or two before and after photos, or their web site’s search engine ranking. These criteria will not find the most experienced and talented plastic surgeon or gynecologist. See the below link on suggestions on how to find the #RightSurgeon for your procedure

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 154 reviews

Which specialty should perform vaginoplasties?

Which specialty should perform #vaginoplasties ?
Plastic Surgeons, OB/Gyn  can both perform these treatments. seek someone who is board certified and has experience with #vaginalrejuvenation

Many doctors are now doing laser rejuvenation; i would still find board certified physician with experience not just a family doctor, naturopath or other non -core doctor

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 109 reviews

Should I look for an obgyn or plastic surgeon for vaginal rejuvenation?

This is not an either/or question. The real question you should ask to any vaginal rejuvenation surgeon is if he/she is Board Certified by their medical specialty board, as well as if they have extensive experience performing this procedure. The vaginal rejuvenation procedure is not typically performed by a plastic surgeon or an OBGYN. This is a highly specialized procedure, which requires 3 dimensional adaptations of the tissue planes, along with the ability to obtain a very pleasing cosmetic result. Plastic surgeons, in general, have a higher attention to detail than many other types of surgeons; this is necessary for achieving aesthetic results. The vaginal rejuvenation procedure can be performed under either local anesthesia, IV sedation, or general anesthesia without any problems at all. I strongly recommend that you do your homework when locating a Board Certified surgeon with extensive experience to perform this procedure. Once you do, schedule a consultation appointment to determine if a vaginal rejuvenation is right for your individual situation.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD
Houston Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 109 reviews

Best surgeon for Vaginal Rejuvenation. Plastic Surgeon or Cosmetic Gynecologist for Vaginoplasty?

Short 'n Sweet:  The vast majority of Plastic Surgeons are not trained in intra-vaginal work (i.e. Vaginoplasty/"Vaginal Rejuvenation.)  Although all Gynecologists are trained in intra-vaginal surgery, the vast majority are trained only in "Posterior Repair/Posterior Colporrhaphy," and sometimes perineoplasty- all performed for a "symptomatic rectocoele ("bulge" through the posterior floor of the vagina) and pelvic support issues.  Ditto fot "Urogynecologists".

Only a small percentage of Gynecologists or Urogynecologists are savvy in the specific kind of pelvic floor repair for vaginal tightening  specifically for improving sexual function/friction (although this surgery also will correct a rectocoele/ poor pelvic floor support), and few are savvy when it comes to a plastic repair of the opening for cosmesis.

Whom to see: A Gynecologist or Urogynecologist specifically trained to perform a 3-4 layer pelvic floor repair for the express purpose of improving friction and sexual pleasure.  This would include many "Cosmetic Gynecologists," but you should ASK.  It is a specialized operation, and experience (many cases...) helps.  It is also nice if your surgeon is skilled and experienced enough to perform his/her procedure in their office under "Local" rather than "General" anesthesia, if you wish and are OK with this.  Much less expensive, plus you don't have to go through the "waking up..." hassle...

The link below may be of help.  Very best wishes,

Michael P. Goodman MD

Surgeon for vaginal rejuvenation

The key is to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist who performs this procedure regularly (>2-3 x/month) I have been performing this procedure for 14 years in Beverly Hills, CA as one of my specialties. I also authored a book on it a couple of years ago.
Vaginal Rejuvenation (a.k.a. vaginoplasty) is performed to reconstruct (more or less tighten) the vaginal vault most commonly following natural vaginal birth. Again, like most other surgery, the experience of and “attention to detail” (a.k.a. compulsiveness) by the surgeon is the most important element to achieving a good result. Although there is some merit to Kegal exercises, many patients with laxity after natural vaginal birth fail to obtain sufficient tightening. For these patients, vaginoplasty, tightening of the vaginal vault muscles from the introits (opening) up to the cervix is typically the best solution. The procedure is commonly done on an outpatient basis in about an hour under either deep intravenous sedation or general anesthesia. Recovery is gradual but probably the worst for the first 4-5 days until swelling starts to reside then patients feel better each day thereafter. Sexual activity is usually refrained for about 6 weeks. In a study I was involved in back in 2009, 87% of vaginoplasty patients were satisfied with their results and had an improved sexual experience post-operatively. Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $8500. Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 117 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.