Trying to pick the right doctor?

I'm looking to shop around for surgeons but I'm noticing there are consult fees and they can be expensive and I don't want to waste my time or my money. I'm just not sure where to start and what questions I should be asking. I obviously want a good vibe from my surgeon but i don't want to make the wrong choice and have a botch ba. I have a pretty good idea of what I want to look like but I'm a planner and I want to find my surgeon sooner than later. Thank you!

Consultation Fees

I would recommend that you see a few Plastic Surgeons for a well-rounded research experience and to compare recommendations. If you select board certified Plastic Surgeon's who's reputation and results appeal to you, the money that you spend on consultation will not be wasted. Your health, safety and long term results will be worth it.
All the best

Finding the right plastic surgeon...

First of all thank you for the question.  It is fantastic that you are looking in to surgeons and your doing your research.  I would say that most busy Experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeons may charge a consultation fee which usually will get applied to your surgery if you proceed with one. Some clinics may offer free initial consults, but may be with a nurse or patient coordinator.   I would strongly recommend seeking out a Board Certified  plastic surgeon and to check out their website, reviews, and the before and after pictures.  Best of Luck.

Heather Rocheford, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Finding the right surgeon

Thank you for your question. Finding the most qualified surgeon and practice is equally as important as staying on budget. While it’s tempting to go with the cheapest quote remember this is still major surgery.  You will live with the effects of this decision for the rest of your life. Bad outcomes end up costing you more in revisions and complications with the end result being not such a great “deal” after all. The American society of plastic surgery recommends you only chose a board certified surgeon. “A successful; doctor-patient relationship is based on confidence and trust, not on perceived savings and price. Make sure you are fully comfortable with the surgeon providing your care” -The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. It's also important to consider what the medical facility is like and the qualifications of the rest of the team. What do the medical facilities look like where you’re going? Are they modern and fully licensed? Is there an acute care hospital nearby in case complications should arise? American College of Surgeons recommends that prospective medical tourists use facilities that are accredited. Is the anesthesiologist certified and safe? A great solution to the cost-quality equation is medical tourism. Medical tourism is driven by people searching for treatments that work in countries where the cost of the operation is much lower than in their home country. Colombia, is an attractive to consumers looking for the ultimate combination of quality, price, service, and value. In Colombia surgeons can offer prices often 30-50% less than in the United States and Europe while maintaining quality and safety. However wherever you decide to go for your surgery don't settle for less than a board certified surgeon. 

Finding the right surgeon + Fees & questions for consultation

Thank you for your important question.

It is great that you are looking for the right plastic surgeon. You do not want to rush to make important decisions that you may regret later. It is true that as a patient, you will be assuming final responsibility for all decisions and having a breast augmentation (BA) procedure can have a great impact on your life.

When patients come prepared, it really helps us surgeons direct you towards making informed decisions, so thank you for being proactive.

I have listed minor and major topics that should to be discussed to be a bit more comprehensive.

1. First you have to make sure you have found the right surgeon for you!
    1. You should first verify the skills and knowledge of your surgeon in the procedure you desire.
      1. Ask for their education, training, and certification
    2. Ask for their experience with the procedure you want
    3. Ask to review photographic examples of the surgeon’s work. Check to see if the aesthetic ideal is consistent with what you are hoping to achieve. Make sure the before and after images have the same perspective, the same lighting.
    4. Read the surgeon’s reviews for the procedure you want
    5. As a patient, you want to ensure your safety first, and not get too excited and rush to get any procedure done.
      1. Your surgeon should be someone who does not rush you, and someone who does not agree to everything you say because safety should be the first thing on their mind. Clearly, you wouldn’t know what is best for you, so they should guide to make decisions that will minimize complications and allow you to have beautiful breasts in the long-term.
      2. Initially, there will be fees for consultations with busy doctors in order to find patients who are absolutely serious about getting surgery. The fees will be credited to your surgery once that is booked. Furthermore, some plastic surgical clinics may be asked to have an initial consultation with nurses or patient coordinators to determine whether the patient is a good candidate for surgery. After this initial consultation, you can see the surgeon for a thorough consultation in which a surgical plan will be made.
  2. During consultation, share all your motivations for surgery, expectations and goals with complete honesty.
    1. Be as specific as you can about what you like regarding your breasts and what you don’t like. Tell them whether you want fake or natural looking breasts. Based on this your surgeon will evaluate you as a candidate for the BA.
    2. Ask the surgeon if your expectations are realistic and reasonable.
      1. Try not to focus on a specific cup size, or looking like a specific celebrity, but just adequately filling your breast to look aesthetically beautiful.
  3. Ask your surgeon about the recommended course of treatment?
    1. Ask about the implant fill options (saline vs. silicone)
    2. Ask about the implant shape options (Anatomic vs. round implants) and profile options
    3. Incision options – transaxillary, inframammay, and periareolar
    4. Pocket options – Behind the muscle, over the muscle
  4. Ask your surgeon about all the risks and potential complications that can occur from BA
    1. No one can predict the future, but we can at least know what is possible in the future
    2. Changes in nipple sensation, scarring, capsular contracture, implant rippling, etc.
    3. Note that like any surgery, there is possibility for multiple complications, but the chances of them actually occurring is very small.
  5. Ask how you can prepare for surgery
  6. Ask what you can expect for the recovery period in relation to your life
  7. Ask about your options if the BA procedure does not meet the goals you had agreed on
  8. Ask about follow-up process and how they will maintain communication with you
  9. Ask about the need for reoperations in the future

Hope this helps

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Trying to pick the right doctor?

Most very busy experienced Plastic Surgeons and their Practices do charge consultation fees- which In most cases are applied as a credit toward your procedure. The most important is to find the most qualified, and experienced Surgeon to perform your surgery

Easy

Just pick the doctor in your area with the best reviews and before and after photos. Easy!The consult fees will go towards your surgery. $100 to reserve a spot with a busy doctor is nothing compared to going somewhere that's less busy where you might end up getting something other than what you want! The cost of a revision for a bad BA is going to be much more.... Good luck! Go with your gut. 

Trying to pick the right doctor?

Few PSs charge for consultations, but I call this the cost of peace of mind. So whether the PS change or not you should seek at least 3 to 4 opinions.

Finding the right surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. It is very important that you thoroughly research your surgeon before committing to surgery. It is a good idea to research your surgeon's educational background, online reviews, before & after pictures, and speak with anyone who you may know who has had surgery with that surgeon. During your consultation, make sure that you don't feel rushed and make sure that you have adequate time with your surgeon and not just their patient coordinator or nurses. If the majority of your consultation is spent with someone other than the surgeon, this is usually not a good sign. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified expert surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Choosing the right surgeon

Thanks for your question.  A good start is to make sure they are truly board certified in plastic surgery. I encourage people to do a Florida license look up through the department of health and verify type of board certification and disciplinary/malpractice history. Second, this decision is too important to not go on a consult, maybe a few. Doctors have consult fees for a couple of reasons. First to weed out those that are serious from others who are casually shopping around. Second because rather than seeing lots of consults, some including myself would rather spend maximum time, in an unhurried way, with fewer patients that are more serious.  I spend 1-2 hours with each patient and deduct the consult fee if you book or come through real self. At the end, it's important to get a good vibe from the doctor and his or her staff. It's an important decision and sometimes the old adage "you get what you pay for" may apply.   Cheap cost, free advice may not always be worth what you would expect even in the medical field. Good luck and go on a few consults, a little money spent is far better than the heartache and expense of a re-do. Raj Ambay, MDBoard Certified Plastic SurgeronWesley Chapel-Tampa-Brandon , Florida

Trying to pick the right doctor?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue… Breast augmentation surgery increases or restores breast size using silicone gel implants, saline implants or in some cases, fat transfer. One of the most popular and frequently performed aesthetic surgery procedures, breast augmentation has a long and successful track record in satisfying women who wish to enhance, regain or restore balance to their figures.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD