What Can One Do if Too Much Tissue Was Removed/trimmed in Labiaplasty?

I had labiaplasty, and on one side too much tissue was removed/trimmed. I am in discomfort and it looks terrible/empty on that side. My labia majora hangs open, my underwear get caught. It is very disheartening. Is there anything at all possible to be done to reconstruct or remedy this? Please advise. I just want to feel beautiful and like a woman again.

Doctor Answers 6

Too much tissue removed during labiaplasty?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is, of course, not possible to make an assessment without an examination in person or, at the very least, some photos.  That being said, there are often revisional procedures that can be done in the event that something like this happens.  I am, of course, very sorry that you've had a problem with this surgery.  You should see one or more surgeons who are expert at revising the effects of this surgery.  There are flaps that can be elevated and rotated into position, fat can be injected to increase the volume, scar tissue can be released...in short, there are many things that can be done and figuring out which is best for you is something that will need to be determined by you in consultation with one or more surgeons.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Labiaplasty - Too Much Removed - Now What?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Without detailed photographs or a physical examination it is hard to comment on the exact recommendation in your case. However there are many ways to correct localized areas where too much tissue was removed such as  using local flaps or even fat transfer. See a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist with experience in Labiaplasty procedures.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear Mrs Dahl,

It sounds like too much tissue was " trimmed " ? or did you have a wedge excision ?

In any cases, yes, there is a way to do a revision with a flap procedure.

you should consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon who has experience in this field.

Good Luck

Florence Mussat, MD

Florence Mussat, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 44 reviews

Labia Minora Reduction and Too Much Tissue Removed?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. it would be in your best interests to be examined by a well experienced plastic surgeon.  Depending on exactly what your anatomy looks like at this point, it may be possible to “rearrange” remaining tissue to improve the results of surgery.

I would suggest that you consult with well experienced plastic surgeons in your area.

Best wishes.

Labiaplasty Revision...after too much was removed

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This is a case where a "picture is worth a thousand words".  Depending upon various factors, most importantly what amount of tissue remains and what is the anatomy of the surounding tissue, is may be possible to undergo revisional surgery to improve the volume of the overly shortened labia.  That being said, I recommend you first discuss this issue with the original surgeon and then possibly seek a second opinion from another board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist that specializes in labiaplasty.  Best of luck...RAS

Ryan A. Stanton, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 128 reviews

Over resection of labia, can it be corrected?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is unfortunate that you did not end up with the expected result. Without photos it is impossible to answer your question. Was your labiaplasty done with a flap or trim method? Depending if you have any residual labial tissue, it might be possible to imrove your result.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.