Breathing problems after rhinoplasty.

I had a rhinoplasty and septoplasty on friday, which makes it 4 days today, and I really have trouble breathing properly From time to time I breathe just fine with both of my nostrils and then at other times my nose canals feel so swollen and really tight, and I cant breathe at all. I'm really scared

Breathing After Nasal Surgery

It is normal for you to have trouble breathing early on after having nasal surgery. This should improve in time, but keep in mind you are still undergoing the recovery process. It is best to consult your surgeon regarding any postoperative concerns you may have.

Difficulty breathing after rhinoplasty

It is far too early to assess your functional and cosmetic outcome from a rhinoplasty, as the nose will continue to change over the next several weeks to months.  As the inside of the nose is much more pliable due to flimsy mucosal lining, it tends to swell for several weeks.

Swelling after nasal surgery

Swelling after nasal surgery is both common and expected; this often leads to nasal congestion lasting for several weeks.  A physiologic process called the nasal cycle produces periodic swelling on one side of the nose, followed by the other; this, added to the already present post-surgery swelling, can produce the symptoms you're describing.  I think you would do best to check in with your surgeon, either for reassurance or an in-person exam.  He/ she knows best the details of your anatomy and treatment, and is best equipped to advise you.  Your surgeon may also recommend a saltwater or decongest spray to help with your breathing.  Good luck in your recovery!

Inessa Fishman, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon