Tiny Grains in my Eye Crease from Fat Injection. Is There a Doctor Here to Help Me?

I have tiny grains (granulomas? nodules?) in my eye crease caused by periorbital fat transfer. Just two above each eye but they make my life absolutely miserable because they cause little ant hills in my skin and a new look. I am searching for a doctor on here to remove them. requirements of my doctor: 1. does not do fat transfer 2. has done many other people with my same exact problem 3. willing to remove one lump at a time 4. will disclose incision length in writing well in advance

Doctor Answers 5

Granules in Eyelid after Fat Transfer

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Jewel: With all do respect I suggest you look for a physician with experience in treating this complication rather than making demands that will limit your ability to find a qualified doctor. Best of luck.

Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 40 reviews

Fat lumps in eyelids after fat grafts injected

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The skin of the eyelid is the thinnest skin of the face and can allow one to see and feel lumps after any filler.  Fat may dissolve to some extent with corticosteroid injections, patients must understand the possible risks and complications from such treatment by having it thoroughly explained by their doctor. Small nodules can be excised individually with small incisions.  It might be more helpful to have a doctor do this who is experienced with fat injections rather than asking for a physician to correct the problem who doesn't do the procedure. The physician who performed your treatments, should be informed by you, if not already, that you are dissatisfied as they may be very capable of revising the result.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Irregular fat deposits in the lids can be removed but requires an operation.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It sounds as though the fat injections that you received "took" irregularly.  In my experience, the only way to deal with this problem is to surgically remove them.  I do not inject fat into the eyelids so the only cases I have seen were the result of injections done elsewhere.  I think you should consult the surgeon who treated you and discuss the issue with him or her.

Granules in Eye Lids after fat grafting

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Granules around the eyes can be caused by fat grafting.  It is a know complications.  Often they go away on there own or with a little cortisone injections.  If they do not resolve spontaneously, than then can be excised, often a small puncture wound is all that is necessary.

Complications of fat transfer

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear Jewel123,

I am sorry you had a disappointing result from your cosmetic procedure, and I can certainly understand why you are unhappy.  Feel free to read some of my other posts on this topic.  Attempting to rectify a problem after a cosmetic surgery is always more difficult than doing the original procedure, and not just from a technical standpoint.  For as you allude, these situations often require multiple thorough consultation and discussion sessions to the point where both the surgeon and patient connect and each have a complete understanding of the other.  Sometimes that is not possible, and even if it were, many surgeons shy away from such patients as they have anger and mistrust (for obvious reasons).  So finding a doctor to help you may prove difficult.  Perhaps the original surgeon can help recommend someone to help the situation.  Otherwise consider a consultation with a university oculoplastic surgeon would be a reasonable starting point.  If it were me, I would want someone with fat transfer experience and a cosmetic focus to their practice, as they would have the best understanding of your situation.

Good luck,

Yoash R. Enzer, MD

Yoash R. Enzer, MD, FACS
Providence Oculoplastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.