Had mini tummy tuck/lipo in abdomen; why am I still numb? (Photos)

went to highly recommend surgeon wanting Lipo, in great shape/health 5'7 145lbs little pouch thanx 2 C-sections.. board certified in Chgo Surgeon suggested mini tuck /lip to abdomen it would take away stretch marks a.. & scar would no bigger than 6-7 inches for a (mini tuck)..I guess I didn't ask right questions, I didn't want a long scar, wanted short down time, not to pleased, I am flatter no doubt it's be 2 mons 12 days still saggy skin in abdomen area & why I'm still numb help..

Dr derby

The numbness is uncomfortable but very normal. It will improve within the first 6 months after the procedure. The process of  mini TT and TT is a process that takes it time. Please be patient . Best of luck

Numbness is normal after surgery

I am sorry you are not happy with your results, numbness is normal after surgery, the areas you got liposuction will be like this for about 3 months and the area that you had tummy tuck will begin to have normal sensation after 6 months from surgery, so you need to be patient. Best wishes.

Australia Fragoso-Baez, MD

Numbness After Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your questions, and the pictures.

It is not uncommon to have some numbness after a tummy tuck in the lower central area just above the scar.  Typically over time this area of numbness gets smaller and smaller, but in some cases a small area can be permanently numb.  I'd give it some more time.  You're still early in your recovery period (2 months), and your result will continue to change, and hopefully improve to the point that you are satisfied with it.

If you aren't satisfied, continue to voice your concerns to your surgeon and see what they recommend.

Why am I still numb after a mini-tummy tuck?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  I am sorry that your results have not been what you anticipated and I can see your areas of concern.  A mini-tummy tuck is a procedure that is best performed in a patient with minimal amounts of skin excess and muscle laxity located below the navel.  In most cases it only addresses the lower abdomen.  As a result, any skin looseness at and above the belly button does not undergo any significant changes in appearance.  The stretching of the skin of the lower abdomen can cause some temporary changes in sensation as a result of nerve irritation but typically resolves within 6 months of the procedure.  I would recommend reaching out and discussing your resultant incision length and surgical outcomes with your surgeon.  A review of your planned procedure can be done with an explanation by your surgeon as to the methods employed.  Hope this helps.

Healing process

The lumpiness, swelling, itching, numbness and hardness after a surgery like you had typically persists at least 8 weeks after the surgery then slowly goes away. In my experience, daily massage of the hard areas makes the biggest difference in getting rid of it sooner rather than later. It can easily take 6 months or more to see results. Be patient with your recovery, this is all normal following and mini tummy tuck and liposuction. Good luck.

Dean Vistnes, MD.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#drdeanvistnes #realself # minitummytuck

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Revision will almost certainly be necessary

The numbness may take 2 years to go away.  The tummy tuck skin looseness outcome you have will probably not get better.