I'm interested in options, cost and what steps to even take if thinking about breast/loose skin reduction

Hi there, I'm thinking about maybe looking into breast reduction, I was a little on the plump side In my teens but fairly average my breasts however have always been very large and heavy with loose skin. I'm now 27 but them being that way at a size 38DD since almost twelve my neck back and hips always ache and had confidence to be naked until 22 where would I start

Breast reduction

You need to be seen by a plastic surgeon to be evaluated for  a breast reduction. Best of luck with your decision to move forward.

I'm interested in options, costs of breast/loose skin reduction

Thank you for the question. Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. 

“Typical” patients who present for breast reduction surgery are women who have disproportionately large breasts, causing problems such as neck/back/shoulder discomfort, postural changes, bra strap grooving, skin irritation/rashes under the breasts, and/or difficulty with activities of daily living and/or exercise etc. There may be both physical as well as psychosocial “stress” caused by the disproportionately large breasts.

Reducing breast tissue mass and elevating the breasts on the chest wall tend to improve or alleviate many of the symptoms associated with the disproportionately large breasts.

Patients considering breast reduction surgery should also consider the potential downsides (risks/complications) associated with the procedure as well. Poor scarring, for example may be associated with the procedure. Additional surgery may be necessary in the short or longer term for a multitude of reasons.

When the time is right, I suggest that you seek consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. You will likely find, but depending on the specific plastic surgeon, you will receive different advice when it comes to the "best reduction method". Ultimately, careful selection of your plastic surgeon, as opposed to selection of the specific technique, will be the most important decision you make. To this end, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

Once you have chosen your plastic surgeon carefully, it will be important for you to communicate her goals carefully as well. In my practice, I asked patients to use as many “visual aids”, such as goal photographs, during the communication process. Avoid the use of subjective terms; for example, "B or C cup” and/or “ as small as possible"… these terms can be confusing, since they may mean different things to different people. Once you have communicated your goals, your chosen plastic surgeon will be able to  provide you with a more precise plan, including specific technique to be utilized.

When it comes to costs of surgery, there may be many “variables” involved. The specific surgeon's credentials/experience level (or lack thereof), the specific geographic area you are looking at, the different operations available, the location of the procedure (quality of surgery facility), type/quality of anesthesia provider, insurance company involvement (if any)… are some of the potential variables involved. You will find some average costs of surgery on this website and on individual plastic surgeons' websites as well.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.