How much down time should I give myself?

Plan to undergo Rhinoplasty, under eye fat removal, brow lift, fat removal around jaw line June, 2011. My in-laws want to book a 50 yr anniversary cruise to Mexico in July. How much down time should I give myself? Also, would a cruise be OK and what about the heat in Mexico that time of the year? Thank you very much.

Doctor Answers 5

Recovery time and when you'll be comfortable for a social function

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is acceptable to have two weeks of down time prior to traveling internationally. It is also important not to exercise in the first two weeks after the surgery. Most of the physical bruising will be gone two weeks after the surgery. Most of the swelling in your nose will be gone in 6-8 weeks. However, full healing takes several months for the eyelids and a year for the rhinoplasty.   Talk to your surgeon for a better idea of when you will be comfortable enough for a cruise. 

Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 158 reviews

Recovery after Multiple Facial Procedures

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Allow yourself at least 6 weeks so you can enjoy the big anniverary celebration without restrictions. I frequently advise my patients to delay surgery until after a special event if there is not adequate time for recovery.

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Surgery Recovery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Its always tough to predict recovery time following these procedures, and everyone is different.  Your attitude has a lot to do with your recovery time.  There is little science to back this claim, but I have found that the more upbeat and motivated you are, the faster you will recover.  I would expect a minimum of 3 weeks recovery, but, if you are planning travel, it would be a safe bet to set aside 4-6 weeks.  You already know swelling from a rhinoplasty may last 6 months to a year.  It will not be disfiguring, but it will be present.  Good luck!

Jason Hess, MD
San Diego Plastic Surgeon

Down time after Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

With the degree of surgery you are planning, I would give yourself 4-6 weeks after surgery before planning on attending the event. I tell patients that approximately 75% of the nose swelling will resolve in the first 6-8 weeks and the remaining 25% may take 6-12 months. Heat should not be too much of an issue, but physical exertion my increase the swelling.

Good Luck!

Dr. C

John Philip Connors III, MD, FACS
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Down time

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Best to you and the in-laws. I recommend at least a month healing to be safe. Please discuss with your chosen surgeon. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.