3 Days Post-Op and I Have Zero Numbness on Lovehandles. Does That Mean It Didnt Take?

If my love handle areas are not numb at all after three days (they weren't really that numb even the same day of the procedure), does that mean it didn't work?

Coolsculpting Can Produce Temporary Numbness in the Treated Area

Thank you for your question. Temporary numbness is common after the Coolsculpting.  Not everyone has numbness following the treatment and as long as the treatment was completed you should see an improvement. It is not uncommon to have delayed onset of pain around 5 days after Coolsculpting.  The discomfort is due to inflammation of the tissue. Not everyone has pain or numbness.  The intermittent discomfort tends to subside within a week. It generally takes about 1 to 2  weeks for the swelling  subside. The numbness can take longer to resolve, especially with the larger abdominal Cool Max applicator.  I do recommend compression for at least 3 weeks or until he numbness has resolved.  We utilize the new Cool Advantage applicators which are much more comfortable and reduce treatment time to 35 minutes.  We currently have 4 Coolsculpting machines and can offer "Dual Sculpting" which further reduces the treatment time.  I recommend keeping in touch with the office of your treating provider and regular follow-up.  Best wishes.

Numbness after Coolsculpting

It is not uncommon to have numbness after Coolsculpting. Mine lasted 3-4 weeks.
Hope that helps!
Sheila Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Side Effects of CoolSculpting

The side effects of CoolSculpting can include tenderness, swelling, bruising, numbness, redness, nerve pain, and sensitivity. Some people may experience all, some, or none of these side effects. The extent of the side effects does not correlate with your outcome. Be patient, as your results will take 1-4 months to be noticeable.

No Numbness after CoolSculpting

Typically, there is minimal to no downtime after the treatment though patients may experience temporary pain or discomfort. Side effects can include redness, bruising, swelling, tenderness to the touch, cramping, itching, tingling, and numbness. However, these side effects do not affect everyone. This does not mean your treatment did not take.

Coolsculpting doesn't usually create numbness

One doesn't need to get numb from CoolSculpting for it to work. During the first few minutes the chilling helps lessen the discomfort from the suction but the freezing usually doesn't create numbness in most patients as a side effect they notice for days after. So if you don't experience numbness after CoolSculpting you shouldn't think you won't get a good result.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Numbness after Coolsculpting

No, just because you have NO numbness, it does not mean that the Coolsculpting Procedure did not work.  Most of my patients don't have the tingling / numbness when the love handles are treated. More commonly, when the abdomen is treated is when patients have the tingling / numbness sensation.

Be patient and you should start seeing results 4-8 weeks out.