When do you see your patients for a tummy tuck post op?

When do you typically see patients for a postoperative check up after a tummy tuck? Do you have a standard day after surgery, for example, three days after surgery you see patients? Or do you wait until it's drain removal time no matter how long the drains have to stay in? Is it strange that a patient wouldn't have a tummy tuck postop 7, 10 or even 14 days after surgery? Curious to hear your reasons for either side as well.

Post op visits after a tummy tuck

Hi and thank you for your question. I think there isn't really a standard answer to your question, however, in my practice I know that early in the post op period, patients are often unsure (scared!) and need a lot of reassurance that things are going the way they should. That's enough reason for me to see patients the next day, then when the drains come out (usually at 3-5 days) then at about a week, then tapering off after that depending on their comfort level and mine as far as what is going on. It really sounds like you are looking for more postop visits than you are getting and you should let your physician know that you are not comfortable and need to be seen. Often that's all they need to hear. Best wishes

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Follow up after tummy tuck

There is no standard but each surgeon should have a good reason for his/her protocol. We see our patients 1-2 days post op to check circulation and place a binder (I don't place the binder at surgery) and offer a refill on the On Q Pain Pump if the patient chose that option. 6 days post op belly button sutures are removed to prevent suture marks around the belly button. The drain is removed at 8 days if the output is at a minimal level. At 2 weeks steri strips are removed and gel tape scar therapy is initiated. A final visit at 6 weeks can allow release to full activity or identify reasons for further visits if necessary. This is just my usual protocol, not a medical standard.

Gregory J. Stagnone, MD

Surgeon's vary with their post-op requirements

as you are experiencing and some surgeons just like to see their patients more often and others less often.  If you had the progressive tension sutures placed, then your post-op visit is not unusual but I personally like to see my patients more often and I'm also a drain user so my routine is 2 days for removal of pain buster and foley, 1 week for sutures and drains, 2 weeks for  drains, 3 weeks for seroma check and then 2 months for photos.  But if  you're having ANY trouble or concerns, you should contact your surgeon for an appointment sooner.

Curtis Wong, MD

Post op apt

Thank you for your question.  At our office we usually see patients around day 5 post op, but there are times we see them sooner.  If we have a patient call with a concern prior to their first apt we will bring them in to check on the concern.  

TT

Thank you for the question and I treat each patient individually -  some I see the first day post op and others not till 5 to 7 days but I check on all by phone

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

I typically see patients 1 week after surgery and then when the drains need to be removed.