I just had a hematoma removed, could I have series now? (photo)

I woke up after getting my drain removed from my hematoma and my breast is turning a yellow color again and seems to be filling with liquid again. After they removed all the blood in surgery the drain was just leaking out orangish clear liquid. Could that still be building up inside me?

Hematoma removal and breast now swelling again, what to do?

Hi PlayM8,

Thanks for your question and photos. The color changes that you are having are normal after hematoma removal and even after surgery. The fluid sounds like normal fluid but if it is building up you may need to have it remove again. The only person that knows what was done is your surgeon. Please seek their advice. Regardless of what it looks like now, the issues can be corrected if needed which may mean another drain. Please be patient and discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon! I recommend lymphatic massage in the mean time to help remove excess fluid. Good Luck!

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS
@mastopexy @hematoma 
facebook @breastdoctor
twitter @docmata
instagram #drcarlosmata

Hematoma Surgery

You would need to be examined, but a yellow color is old blood that may have already 'stained' your tissues. This does not rule out a recurrent bleed (unlikely) or a seroma (very possible, if you believe your breast is swelling again). It is unfortunate that your surgery was not performed through an inframammary incision to minimize possible contamination of your implant and risk of subsequent capsular contracture.
Please follow up with your surgeon soon if you believe your breast is getting more swollen.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Seroma?

Was a drain left in place?  If not, the breast may swell a bit more than the other side because of the inflammation from the blood in the pocket. Best to follow closely with your surgeon.

I Just Had A Hematoma Removed - Can I Have A Seroma Now?

The yellow color on your breast is the normal degradation of the red pigment (hemaglobin) to a yellow green color known as biliverdin (a greenish/yellow pigment seen as bruises go away). 

More than likely, the orangish clear liquid leaking out of your drain site is Betadine with some injury fluid.  Most plastic surgeons after they get rid of a hematoma, to decrease the chance of infection will wash the area out with Betadine. 

Your questions and concerns are all valid and I highly recommend you discuss with your personal plastic surgeon.  Nothing you have mentioned thus far indicates the presence of a seroma.

Hematoma: What to Do

I am sorry to hear that you had a hematoma after breast augmentation.  The usual practice is to drain the hematoma completely, evaluate for any sign of active bleeding, wash out the pocket with antibiotic solution, and if not contraindicated, replace the implant.  Often a drain is also placed.

Due to the pressure and inflammation which the hematoma causes, it is not unusual to have some drainage for a number of days after surgery.  The drainage is often strawberry colored for awhile and eventually clears.  Consult with your doctor to evaluate the drainage and the softness of the breast.  Best wishes and hope things move in a better direction for you.

Stephen Bresnick, MD

Hematomas rarely recur

once managed.  But with any concerns, you should always be able to discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  If you are not increasing in size, you do not have a recurrence.  Yellowish green discoloration of your skin is just the bruise resolving.  But always best to keep your surgeon in the loop regarding your concerns.

Curtis Wong, MD

Yelllow

Thank you for the question snd if you have concerns see your surgeon though the yellow discoloration may just be from the previous hematoma

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

I just had a hematoma removed, could I have series now?

Thank you for your question.  If your breast appears to be swelling similar to your previous hematoma you need to inform your surgeon so that they can rule out any issues.  That said yellowing of the breast skin is not uncommon after hematoma drainage and some orange coloration to the drainage fluid would represent residual blood removal.  Hope this helps.

Hematoma removed

If your breast is swelling up and getting larger, that is possible.  However, the orange clear liquid is usually see coming out of your drain after several days. 

Christopher Costanzo, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Sorry to hear about your post-op course.  

More than likely your breast has a yellow discoloration from the hematoma that was evacuated.  If you feel your breast is filling again, I would suggest calling your surgeon so that you can be examined.

It is quite possible that your breast is just reacting to the inflammation caused by the hematoma but better safe than sorry.

Good luck, hope all is well.