My doctor when cleaning out my hematoma said he took my implant and and put it back in. Is that safe?

Replacing same implant after cleaning out hematoma

That's exactly what I would have done! Unlike a gross infection where there is a possibility of leaving biofilm on the implant, rinsing off an implant w/ antibiotic and/or sterile saline for a non-infected hematoma is really all you need as long as the implant is intact and doesn't have any problems. Your surgeon saved you time and money by not requiring that you buy a new implant or worse yet, leaving the implant out and requiring another surgery. I'd say that he/she is on your side! 

Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

The standard treatment would be to remove the hematoma, clean out the pocket and replace the implant you had in.  So yes that is a safe treatment.

Christopher Costanzo, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Removed implant during hematoma evacuation

Dear PlayM8,
I am not sure there is any other way to treat your hematoma that to remove the implant. He could have left it out (no reason for that if not treating an infection), or put in a new one (no reason if it was not damaged during surgery). Sounds like a very standard treatment.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Removing the implant with hematomas

is the standard of care and had to be done to allow complete visualization of the pocket and to get the hematoma out and the bleeding stopped.  The implants are normally cleaned and soaked in antibiotic solution while it is outside your body.

Curtis Wong, MD

Hematoma implant replacement

Yes, replacing the same implant when evacuating an otherwise uncomplicated hematoma is standard practice.  

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD

Hematoma Surgery

That is the correct thing to do when performing an early reoperation for a hematoma. The implant is usually placed in a sterile bowl with antibiotic containing saline and replaced when the hematoma is removed and the pocket is irrigated. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

I am sorry to hear about the competition you experienced. Assuming the breast implant removal and replacement process was handled in a completely sterile fashion, then you received safe and standard care. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with.

Breast implants

It is normal practice to take your implant to remove the haematoma and clean the pocket and make sure that that there is no sign of bleeding that needs stopping. It is usual to replace the implants after.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma Evacuation

There are several reasons to return to the operating room to evacuate a breast augmentation hematoma.  If a patient has a hematoma, I take her back to the operating room.  We prep the patient the same way we would if we are doing the procedure the first time.  Once the incision is opened, if it is necessary to remove the implant to fully evacuate the hematoma we will. Then after irrigating the pocket with antibiotic solution we will replace the implant if its OK.  Its pretty standard in the event of a hematoma.

Samuel Beran, MD