Tummy tuck with a hernia scar?

Got a scar above my belly bottom 5 years ago from a hernia I would like to know if I still can do a tummy tuck from a hear that scar creates a problem the scar is less dan 3" pleas help me

Tummy Tuck with Hernia Scar?

Great question! The best thing you can do is choose a board certified plastic surgeon and go for a consultation. It will depend on what type of hernia you had repaired and where the scar is. Scars in certain locations on the abdominal wall can be a challenge to the blood supply when a plastic surgeon is performing an abdominoplasty. Best of luck to you!

Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Umbilical hernia

If you had an umbilical hernia and de[ending upon how it was repaired, may compromise the blood supply to the umbilicus.

Scars and Tummy Tuck

Pre-existing scars are a concern when planning flap surgery (like a tummy tuck or facelift) because they indicate that the blood supply to the skin has been limited somewhat.  Your surgeon will need to consider whether your scar will limit your surgery, but in most cases a solution can be found even when large scars are present.

Michael Kreidstein, MD

Prior scars and tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.  Your hernia scar should not present a problem with a tummy tuck.  To be sure, consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for a full evaluation and to discuss your options.  Best wishes!

Your hernia scar should not cause a problem

you should be fine having a TT despite your hernia scar.

see a board certified PS for an in person visit.

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Scar and tummy tuck

in most instances, a prior scar does not preclude a tummy tuck. To be sure, plan to consult a Board Certified plastic surgeon who can demonstrate considerable experience with tummy tucks.

Tad Grenga, MD, FACS
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

Hernia Scar and Tummy Tuck

Hard to tell without a photo but the scar itself should not pose a problem getting a tummy tuck. If it's a short vertical scar above the belly button it will move downward and end up as a vertical scar lower down.

Tummy tuck with a hernia scar?

What you have heard is correct; long scars (for example long previous open gallbladder surgery scars) can be problematic when it comes to tummy tuck surgery. However, the short scar that you are describing will likely not be a significant issue.

My best suggestion: seek in-person consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with.  You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with