I have had 2 consultations. One clinic offering Fraxel Dual 1550 and the other clinic the fractional laser 1540. (Photo)

The second clinic claims the fractional laser 1540 is the 'upgraded' fraxel and goes deeper into the skin. I went back to the first clinic and they claimed the fraxel dual 1550 is better than the fractional laser. I have mature white stretch marks all over my tummy area after pregnancy. Which laser is better? The price offered is significantly different between the two technology. Also would skin tightening technology such as the freeze they recommend help with the loose skin?

Both the same

The wavelengths and effects are both very similar. Clinics will ALWAYS give you the 'best' option, depending on what they have to offer. My suggestion is to see a Board Certified Physician that has access to 1540, 1550, CO2, Microneedling, Dermapen, PRP, eMatrix and others- they will then tailor a solution for your skin concerns, and skin type. 

All the best

Dr Davin Lim
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist
BRISBANE, Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Stretch marks

Dear  samp100s,

Thank you for your clinical post. You may visit five more clinics and get five more different opinions. There are usually several reasons for this. First, stretch marks, that is those that are white and hypotrophic, are very difficult to treat with any degree of great success. Therefore, many different technologies can be applied to improve the appearance of white, shiny, stretched, damaged areas of the skin that we refer to as stretch marks. Single based technology either a Fraxel laser with 1550 or 1927 which is the dual or the fractional 1540 is also an excellent non-ablative fractional device will provide some improvement, perhaps 15-20%.

Multiple treatments will be required and if there is some degree of laxity then skin tightening will also improve the appearance of the stretch marked skin. There are many non-ablative devices that can tighten the skin and can be used in conjunction with fractional technologies. When it comes to stretch marks it is one of those clinical pathologies where often multiple treatment devices are required. Fractional radio frequency devices, fractional radio frequency needle devices, plasma rich protein, subdermal heating techniques as well as fractional infrared and even fractional ablative lasers.

This combination therapy can often increase the stretch mark improvement to 50% or 60%, but combination therapy over multiple visits is required. At SpaMedica we have one of the largest, if not the largest private laser clinics in Canada with multiple technologies and are able to provide the best possible stretch mark results without surgery by combining these technologies.

To schedule a consultation and get yet anther opinion fill out the SpaMedica consultation request form or simply call the number on the content page and a client service representative will be with you promptly.

I think you can significantly improve your stretch marks, not remove them, but you’ll need multiple techniques, technologies, lasers and radio frequency devices both ablative and non-ablative in order to get the best possible result.

I hope this information is of some assistance and best of luck.

To find out more, please visit the link below.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Stretch Mark Treatment -- Eclipse Micropen, PRP, Viva/Skinfinity, Fraxel/Clear+Brilliant, Pulsed Dye Laser, Fractional pico

Fraxel is the gold standard fractional laser the 1540 doesn't work nearly as well.  However, I find that fractional radiofrequency such as viva or skinfinity work very well for this almost better than lasers and mixed with microneedling/PRP.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Fraxel 1550

The Fraxel DUAL utilizes both 1550 and 1927 wavelengths depending on the condition being treated.  The 1550 would be used for stretch marks to help thicken the skin but no treatment will repigment the white areas.  The most effective skin tightening device is Thermage.  Fraxel and Thermage treatments can be combined. 

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Abdominal stretch marks and skin tightening

The best combination of treatment for you would be the Fraxel Dual (1550) and Thermage laser.  The combination would improve the stretch marks and tighten the skin.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist for the best cosmetic treatment.  Best, Dr. Green