I'm 5'11", 180 after losing 150lbs. I want proportion to my wide shoulders. What type/size implant would you recommend? (Photo)

There's so many choices, I'm overwhelmed. I want large breasts because I'm almost 6 feet tall. My current size is a B cup. I've read that for large implants the anchor cut under the muscle is best. Would you look at my photos and give a recommendation for implant type and breast lift technique?

Implant size

Choosing the right size and type of implant depends on any number of factors all of which require an in person exam. It is simply not possible online. I would advise you to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area (link below) to discuss your options. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Tough to say what you really need...

From the looks of it, you look great despite the 150lb weight loss!  I'm really not sure if you even need a lift.  Remember, the larger the breast, the lower the nipple should be.  So, your nipples may be in the right place for the breast you are hoping for!  Use a high profile implant under the muscle (dual plane technique).  As for the size, that is based on measurements of your chest.  I certainly prefer round, smooth silicone gel implants.  See a board certifies plastic surgeon in your area and see what they have to say. It may be a good idea to get 2 or 3 different opinnions too.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

I'm 5'11", 180 after losing 150lbs. I want proportion to my wide shoulders. What type/size implant would you recommend?

Focus on the look not the cc or cup size. Pateint's often regret deicisions based on extraneous factors as you may end up with suboptimal result. Bra's vary from store to store, and cc's mean nothing in isolation. You should be measured during your consult and offered implants within a 5mm window of those measurements in multiple styles. For what's its worth, in my experience a dimensionally sound mod+ profile tends to go from an A+/B- to the magical full C or small D. A high profile (or SRF) would be about 100ccs larger to maintain the same base width and more like a Full D but VS will call it a DD or DDD, particularly in a 32-34. Ultimately, try on the different styles and look in the mirror. When you see the look you like, pick that style! This requires a consult, exam, measurements and sizing with a board certified plastic surgeon. My patients select the implant style and their chest dimensions dictate the number of cc's. I make specific recommendations to each and every of the augmentation patients I see annually based on: 1) dimensional planning 2) expressed goals 3) amount and quality of tissue to hide the implant. I have included a link with my explaination of the different implants and what to expect from your consult as well as hundreds of before and after photos to see what change implants of a particular size deliver. Best of luck. #drfeldman #BancroftFeldman #breastaugmentation #sugarlandTX #HoustonTX

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements. Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance. Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).
Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.
These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr Schwartz

Implant selection

I think that it is very difficult to choose an implant for you without a formal exam in person. Your anatomy is important in this determination. You likely need some sort of a lift as well.

What type/size implant would you recommend?

This is a critical question that a live consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon can easily answer. The important decisions will involve what your natural breast diameter is, what type of implant size you want and whether you need a lift or not. The form stable implants may help your droop, but their disadvantage is that they are also firmer than standard get implants and more expensive. I would not consider using saline implants. At your body size, I would not be surprised at all if you are in the 400-600 cc range depending on size goals. Good luck.

Robert Graper, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation after weight loss

Congratulations on your weight loss, it is quite an accomplishment.

Often with significant weight loss individuals breast undergo changes such as flattening of the upper pole and decent of the nipple to a more inferior position. As a result of this, the issue is two fold. First, volume needs to be replaced in order to fill the upper pole. Second, the nipple needs to be lifted into a more appropriate position.  There are a number of ways to get this accomplished. An augmentation with mastopexy would address these issues. Additionally, a surgeon can recruit tissue laxity from the lateral chest and mobilize it into the chest for an auto-augmentation using your bodies own tissue and avoiding an implant.

The true answer is best assessed by an in-person evaluation. I would look for a Plastic Surgeon who has experience with massive weight loss patients to go over all your options.

Ryan Mitchell, MD, FRCSC
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and photographs. Breast implant selection is an exciting, but stressful part of the breast augmentation process as there are so many choices. Unfortunately it is impossible to recommend the best implant style, size or shape without an in-person examination that allows for the measurement of key breast parameters, as well as permits an in-depth discussion as to your desired goals and outcome. It does appear that you would benefit from a breast lift, but the type, whether a vertical or anchor based incision pattern can be determined at the time of your consultation after evaluating your breast tissue and nipple position in person.   Best wishes!

Large implants and lift. Do they go hand to hand?

Thanks for sharing your question and photos. I can appreciate your concern.

The combination of breast augmentation with a lift is independent of the size of the implants. It is related to the location of the nipple and the desire look that you want to achieve.

In general the ideal location of the nipple is at the highest point of the
Breast mount. If the implant does not help recruiting the tissue and elevating the nipple, then a lift might be needed.

Once again the choice is yours.

Finally, make sure that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in after weight loss surgery.

Wishing you the best in your journey

Breast implant choice

Congratulations on you weight loss.
Based on you photos, I agree with breast augmentation with full lift.
In regards to implant size, it depends on your anatomy (chest width, chest height, existing breast tissue, overall body) as well as your desired goal.
Please review before and after photo gallery; share your desired look with your plastic surgeon.
Based on his/her measurement of your body and understanding your goal, your plastic surgeon will give you a meaningful recommendation.
Best regards.