Thinking of Asking for Phentermine To Lose More Weight Before Surgery, Is This Ok?

My current weight is 205 and am considering a TT & BR. I have lost 30 lbs in the last six months and I guess I've hit a small plateau. I've started at the gym and invested in a trainer 9 months ago and exercise has become a part of my life. I was thinking about asking to take phentermine for perhaps 2-3 prior to arranging any surgery to just take off as much weight as possible. I understand you need to be off this type of medication 3-4 weeks prior to surgery. Is this ok?

Thinking of Asking for Phentermine To Lose More Weight Before Surgery, Is This Ok

Thank you for your question.  Phentermine will interfere with your anesthesia and may cause complications.  You must discontinue weight loss supplements such as phentermine 2-6 weeks before surgery.  Ask your surgeon for his recommendations when to stop.  

Phentermine before surgery

The use of diet pills, weight loss pils or fat burners should be stopped for several weeks before surgery to avoid the risk of a fatal reaction with anesthesia. If you stop them appropriately it should be fine for you to take them before this stopping period.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon