1 Month Post Thigh Lift With Groin Incision. Necessary To Wear Garment? (photo)

I had a thigh lift, groin incision 4 weeks ago. Is it necessary to wear compression on that area from now on to avoid thigh from sagging again.

Compression Garments Following Thigh Lift Surgery

It's important to realize that no two patients are ever exactly alike. They have unique anatomic starting points and undergo procedures that are modified to meet their specific needs. For this reason, it's not unusual for surgeons to tailor their post-operative care to optimize their result.

Patients who undergo thigh lift surgery can expect swelling and discomfort following this procedure. In an effort to decrease swelling, most surgeons utilize compression garments in the post-operative period. Although each patient should be considered individually, we generally recommend three to four weeks of compression following thigh lift surgery.

Compression minimizes swelling, minimizes bruising and decreases post-operative pain. Compression helps remodel tissue and contributes significantly to the contour improvement seen with this procedure.

It's important to realize that each patient's situation is unique. For this reason, it's important to discuss the use of compression garments with your surgeon. Your surgeon should be able to explain his approach regarding the use of compression devices.

Not necessary to wear garment 1 month after thigh lift.

Plastic surgeons are split about wearing compression garments after thigh lifts.  Some have their patients wear one, I do not.  I do occassionally have my patients wear UnderArmour which is a light compression, but it's for comfort mostly and does not provide any lifting or prevent any tissue from sagging again.

Compression garments after thigh lift

While it is never absolutely "necessary" to wear compression garments, I usually recommend wearing these garments for 2-3 months as tolerated for the maximal benefit and reduction of localized swelling.  To specifically answer your question, a garment may aid the support of your tissue during the healing process, but they do not really provide any real lift.

Tito Vasquez, MD, FACS
Southport Plastic Surgeon