Thigh Lift-OR-Fat Grafting & More Liposuction

I need to get revision surgery for aggressive liposuction that was done on my inner and outer thighs and knees. I have been getting consults from different doctors and have been getting different answers. Some doctors suggest getting a combination of fat grafting and more liposuction to even out contour irregularities. Other doctors have suggested getting a thigh lift and excising skin from my ruined gluteal crease. I'd really appreciate some more expert opinions. Thank you.

Thigh lift versus fat grafting and liposuction

As others have stated above, there is not a "right" answer and there are many approaches to your problem.  Fat grafting and liposuction may make some improvements.  However, if you have loose skin leading to contour irregularities, then a more aggressive approach such as thigh lift may be a better option.  It really is up to you.  If you have the time and the money to try the more conservative approaches first, then that would be a good plan.  If you want to jump right to a more aggressive approach that would be appropriate as well.  

Good Luck.

Gluteal crease problem

Gluteal crease problem after liposuction is a very difficult problem to correct.  I am not aware of any reliable way to correct this problem.  The combination of lipo and fat grafting should work in theory but I have yet to see great results

Martin Jugenburg, MD

The Management of Liposuction Complications

Loss of definition of the gluteal crease following liposuction can be an extremely difficult problem to treat. A variety of treatment options are available to address this problem. Unfortunately, none of these treatments have been found to be particularly reliable.

For this reason, treatment of this deformity should start with procedures that are minimally invasive and associated with low complication rates. Initially, I would avoid procedures that involve extensive excisions of skin that can potentially cause significant scarring.

Liposuction with fat grafting is probably a good starting point. In some cases, this procedure might result in significant improvement in buttock crease contour. When this procedure is unsuccessful, other more aggressive procedures may prove necessary.

Correction of this deformity will require a physical examination and careful analysis by a board certified plastic surgeon. This surgeon should be able to discuss your options and formulate an appropriate treatment plan.

Correcting contour deformities following liposuction is difficult

With your situation, I'm afraid you will get many different opinions and it's difficult to say which one is the right one.  We have a saying in plastic surgery that there are 9 ways to skin a cat--and your case is a good fit for that saying!  I suggest sticking with the most conservative route at first, then trying more aggressive procedures like a thigh lift should the more conservative therapies not work.  It's also difficult to give you an objective opinion just based on the pictures you posted.  Find a plastic surgeon that you like and trust--that's the best advice I can give you.  Good luck!

Elan B. Singer, MD