Thigh and Buttock Lift After Weight Loss, What Kind of Results Should I Expect? (photo)

Hi, I lost 140 pounds and have had loose skin removed from my chest, abdomen, outer thighs and back. I now intend to have a thigh lift. Plesae could you tell me if the best outcome would be from a thigh lift with the incision extending to my knee or just in my groin area, and whether it could improve the countour of the lower area of my buttocks. Thank you.

Best result would be with an incision to your knee.

First congratulations on the weight loss.  The photos of you on your side show loose skin and tissue from your groin to your knees.  This would be best removed by an incision which extends as far as the loose skin extends.  This usually means an incision which runs down the groin crease toward the inner aspect of the thighs and then down to the knees.  These incisions heal very well and allows the maximal amount of skin to be removed in all areas of laxity.  The thigh skin is tightened by wrapping it around the thigh instead of trying to elevate it up and suturing it into the groin crease which frequently results in widened scars in the upper inner areas of the thighs.  This will have some improving effect on the skin below your buttocks but not on the buttocks themselves.

The Management Of Loose Thigh Skin

It's not unusual for massive weight loss patients to develop loose, saggy thigh skin. This excess skin can cause a multitude of functional and aesthetic problems. For this reason, it's not unusual for patients to request surgical correction of this problem.

A variety of surgical treatments are available to treat this condition. These procedures are tailored to meet the patients aesthetic goals and address their anatomic findings.

Your pictures demonstrate excess skin in both the transverse and vertical directions. Correction of this deformity will require a medial thigh lift. This procedure will require a groin incision which is extended along the inner thigh towards the knees. The procedure removes excess skin in multiple dimensions and significantly improves leg contour. It's associated with excellent clinical results and high levels of patient satisfaction.

If you're considering a medial thigh lift, it's important to consult a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in this area. This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your anatomic findings and achieves your aesthetic goals.

Expect best results from a thigh lift from groin to inner knee

Congratulations on your significant weight loss.  You should be very proud of yourself and your resulting body. 

Based on your picture, I would suggest a thigh lift that goes from the groin to the inner knee.  On your pictures, I see a moderate amount of excess skin around the inner knee and an incision in the groin area would not correct this. Therefore I would suggest a medial thigh lift with an incision from the groin to the knee. 

Concerning your lower buttocks, a thigh lift does not correct the contour of the lower buttocks, per se.  If however, you are concerned about the contour of your lower buttocks, an incision can be made during the thigh lift, which extends underneath the buttock and the buttock fold.  Typically, this would follow the posterior underwear line. 

The incision on the buttock would be placed where the buttock and the posterior thigh meet and then travel up to the buttock as much as needed to reach the effect you are trying to achieve. 

Again congratulations on your weight loss and good luck in completing your weight loss journey. 

Thank you,

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS