5 week post op lipo, I feel bloated all the time, will it resolve? Is it normal to be told to exercise to get results? (Photo)

My abdomen looks very uneven. My back fat looks worse simply because my flanks do look amazing with the exception of it being uneven, so because that is smaller, it's like a real definition so the back fat yells look at me! I constantly feel bloated. I am also 3 dress sized larger. Does age make the healing process slower?

5 week post op lipo, I feel bloated all the time, will it resolve? Is it normal to be told to exercise to get results?

From your description and posted photos something NOT right. Best to seek and pay for second in person opinions.... 

Bloated after liposuction

Thank you so much for your question about your liposuction.

You sound very very swollen. Have you been wearing the garment? Have you seen your surgeon  and what does s/he tell you?

I am concerned that the fluid retention may not be related directly to the liposuction. I suggest first seeing your regular doctor to have your thyoid and kidney function checked.

Then if all is well, I would wait a full six months. Then see your plastic surgeon and get a second opinion if you feel it is needed. In the meantime, for your result, wearing your garment, losing weight and waiting is the best approach.

Be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Here’s hoping you find this helpful. Have a great day!

Bloated after liposuction.

At 5 weeks there likely is still swelling in the subcutaneous tissue.  The bloating may be do to medications (are you still on pain pills?).  Are you constipated?  Inactivity following the  surgery also contributes to the bloating.  Exercise will help.  It will resolve and your dress size will decrease.  Uneven contours may be related to technique, the amount aspirated, the degree of skin laxity and yes ageing.  (you didn't show pre op photos which are necessary to compare to the post op photos).  Liposuction can be like a house renovation.  If you do one area the area adjacent to it will not be proportional (you may consider staged liposuction).  5 weeks is too early to decide on the result.   It can take up to 6 months before a decision is made to do more.

Robert Sleightholm, MD
Brampton Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction Patient Feels Bloated

It may take 3 to 6 months from the time of surgery for the swelling to disappear. However, it is possible for patients to put on weight during that time.

Liposuction takes away fat; it doesn't add fat, but the proportion between the operated areas and other areas can change. Liposuction is no substitute for weight loss, and poor skin tone also limits the result.

During this time when you're feeling discouraged and depressed, it can be easy to put on weight. Try to shift your focus away from the results right now and instead try to increase your physical activity (consider using a device like a Fitbit) and perhaps join a weight loss support group.

See your plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns. I know this must be a trying time for you, and it's important to enlist your surgeon's help and support.

Click on the link below for more information on what you can expect from liposuction of the abdomen and when a tummy tuck is indicated.

Good luck!

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon