Thermage a good alternative to a tuck? (photo)

I am h absolutely petrified of the idea of a tummy tuck as my skin generally doesnt heal very well after operations and I hate the scarring. I would like an opinion on whether Themarge and would provide an alternative solution that could work for me. Me: 38 years, current weight 135lb with 15lb's further to lose. I dont have any children and gained weight in my late teens (180lb with a 5foot 2 frame). I would like to have children in the future. Your expert opinion would be hugely appreciated

Thermage versus Tummy Tuck

Thank you for posting your photo.  I actually think the best result would come from a combination of CoolSculpting and Thermage.  You would first need your upper and lower abdomen treated with CoolSculpting followed by Thermage.   You should continue to eat healthy and exercise to achieve the best cosmetic result.

Thermage vs. Tummy tuck

Thermage is commonly used on the face and body for its utility in skin tightening. I don't believe that this would be a good choice in your case. Since this is not a good time in your life for a tummy tuck given your desire to have children, I would recommend non-surgical fat reduction options. In particular, liposonix which is an ultrasound based technology, which aside from its use in thermally heating and destroying fat, seems to have the capacity to provide some mild skin tightening as well. 

Coolsculpting for Body Contouring

Thermage treatment would not be a good option for you; however there are other treatments that can improve the appearance of your abdomen. I would recommend a body contouring treatment like Coolsculpting, this non-surgical treatment will help reduce excess body fat and improve the condition of the skin. A Coolsuclpting treatment will reduce about 20% of fat in the area treated and you will see the results typically between 2-4 months after the procedure once your body naturally eliminates the destructed fat. Based on your picture you may need 2-3 treatments in the same area for best results. Consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist to see if this is the procedure for you.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Thermage instead of tummy tuck

Unfortunatly Thermage will not help. I have been using Thermage for 7 years and it is effective in selected cases BUT patients can have too high expectations which can't be met. Because you havn't had children your tummy tuck would not involve muscle tightening and the scar which fades with time can be low down in your pant line.