Is There Anything That Can Be Done to the Cartilage or the Nostril to Restore It to the Same Level As the Other Nostril?

I was hit on the right side of my nose where the nasal bone and upper lateral cartilage meet and received two black eyes as a result of this. I had an xray taken and was told I had a fractured nose and my upper lateral cartilage was pushed in or torn. As a result of this my nostril on the side of the nose I was hit on is higher than my other nostril because the cartilage going from top of my nose at the side to that nostril is not holding it in place.

Doctor Answers 10

Addressing asymmetry after nasal fracture

In the midthird of the nose, if the upper lateral cartilage has been fractured off the nasal bones, it is usually repaired with a spreader graft.  The spreader graft is composed of the patient’s own cartilage harvested from inside the nose and placed to bolster and support the affected upper lateral cartilage that is concaved and herniated into the airway.  Spreader grafts can be done for cosmetic purposes to improve the look of the nose or for functional purposes to correct nasal valve collapse and vestibular stenosis internally and improve breathing.  Osteotomies will need to be performed if the nasal bones are fractured.

Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 143 reviews

Correction of Nasal Deformity with Rhinoplasty

      Pictures would be helpful to describe exactly how the correction could be performed, but rhinoplasty could help with all of your concerns.  Do you have breathing issues as well?  A full exam with an internal and external nasal exam will reveal what needs to be done.

Kenneth B. Hughes, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 492 reviews

Rhinoplasty can correct asymmetry.


I am sure the asymmetry can be corrected.  There are different steps in a rhinoplasty depending on the individual anatomy.  You may need a cartilage graft.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 9 reviews

Surgery to help fix the nose following trauma

Hello, and sorry to hear about the trauma you experienced to your nose. Photos and/or an exam would really be necessary to provide you with the best advice. Rhinoplasty can likely make improvements to your nose based on the issue you describe. I would recommend a consult with a board certified rhinoplasty specialist. He/she will be able to examine your nose in person and help determine your needs. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 47 reviews

Changes after Nasal Fracture

You do not mention when the trauma occurred; if recent your nasal appearance may improve after the swelling has resolved. This can be corrected but I would need pictures before making any suggestions.

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Nasal Fracture

Dear Hitman1346:

     It is difficult to answer without a physical examination but from what you decribed I believe you can be helped. You should seek consultation with a board certified plastic or facial plastic surgeon who has experience in rhinoplasty and craniomaxillofacial injuries. The Rhinoplasty Society might be a good place to look for a surgeon in your area. Hope this helps.


Stephen E. Metzinger MD MSPH FACS

Stephen E. Metzinger, MD, MSPH, FACS
Metairie Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

Asymmetric Nostrils Following Trauma to the Nose

Hi there. From what you describe, it can likely be corrected through reconstructive nose surgery. You need a complete evaluation by a board certified facial plastic surgeon with experience in rhinoplasty surgery.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 40 reviews

Non-surgical, injection Rhinoplasty Can be an Answer to Asymmetrical Nostrils

Hello, Hitman.  Dr. Kotler from DR 90210 here.

Your problem may well be solved without surgery. The most common cause of asymmetrical nostrils is usally an imperfect rhinoplasty result. However, your situation may qualify for such treatment.

Injection rhinoplasty or non-surgical rhinoplasty involves injecting, under the skin,micro-droplets of  a permanent filler. In your case, assuming the abnormal nostril has retracted or elevated because of the injury, the filler is injected just under the skin at the apex of the retracted portion of the nostril. This effectively drives the edge " down" so it matches the other side.

You can do some homework on this. Check out our website and others and learn more.

Best wishes.


Robert Kotler, MD, FACS




Robert Kotler, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 86 reviews

Rhinoplasty after being hit in the nose

Dear hitman1346,

  • Repairing the trauma that was done to the nose should fix your problem
  • You should have an examination done by a rhinoplasty surgeon when you are ready to go over realistic expectations and what is possible

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 74 reviews


Dear Hitman,


Without pictures, I can't really make any suggestions as to what you need to correct the problem.  You should see a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss options.  The problem you have described can be addressed surgically.



Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)
Toronto Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 35 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.