Is There a Safe an Effective Way to Correct my Tuberous Breast Deformity Without Implants? (photo)

I have had constricted breasts for as long as I can remember. I barely fill an A cup and wear a padded B to look fuller. My tissue under the nipple is limited and as you can see from the picture, my nipple protrudes and appears herniated. What would you recommend I do to fix my breast constriction? I am 19 years old, I weigh 130 pounds, I'm 5'3, and I've never had kids or been pregnant. I am not too interested in implants, as much as I am changing the shape of my breast. Thank you!

Doctor Answers 5

External expansion and fat transfer

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

External expansion with the BRAVA system followed by fat grafting is showing promise and could give you excellent results.

Nashville Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 221 reviews

Herniated tissue

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

From the photos, it looks like you have prominent areola and possibly herniation of tissue into them. If you do not want implants, you may achieve a satisfactory result by performing a circumareola approach and imploding the tissue inward.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Is There a Safe an Effective Way to Correct my Tuberous Breast Deformity Without Implants?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If your only objection to your breasts is that the nipple/areolar complex is protruding, or what we call "pseudoherniation", and you are content to maintain your current breast size and shape otherwise, you can have a circumareolar or periareolar lift that essentially "telescopes" the protruding hernaited areola inward and flattens in out.  If you are looking for any degree of breast enlargement and increased projection, then of course you would need breast augmentation with implants.  Fat grafting for breast augmentation without implants is still somewhat in its infancy, is still being investigated, is not completely reliable in terms of fat survival, and may require multiple procedures to obtain a noticeable augmentation.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thanks for the photos.  You are rignt in saying that you have tubular breasts with herniation of the Nipple- Areolar Complex.  My recommendation would be a Circumareolar approach to correct the herniation of NAC, the tubular shape and breast  augmentation.  I do not feel your breasts will change much with age.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 37 reviews

You should really consider implants.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Though my colleagues are correct in telling you that the only way to decrease the tuberous breast anatomy you exhibit (actually, much more accurately described as sub-areolar only pseudoherniation, or "puffy nipples") is by a periareolar approach to tighten and reduce the nipple/areola protrusion, I would offer an additional point of view here for completeness.

You have extremely small breasts, and decreasing your nipple/areola protrusion will make your chest more masculine in appearance, and with scars around your areolas to boot! Are you sure this is what you want, because once you decide to go this route, you can't take the scars back!

I'm not sure what your reasons are for not considering implants, and would certainly respect your wishes to not utilize them. However, small to moderate-size latest-generation silicone gel implants can yield a very pleasing feminine breast appearance, and you can then decided whether or not to proceed with areolar revision (or even use a periareolar approach for augmentation, if you and your surgeon agree).

I offer this option not to try to "talk you into" implants against your wishes, but to present another option that is truly the only "real" way to give you breasts with any shape at all! Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 263 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.