If There Are Too Many Parts of my Body That Need Liposuction, Should I Rather Do a Gastric Bypass?

it seems that liposuction is very expensive and there are many parts of my body that would need it... should I opt for gastric bypass instead?

Liposuction VS Gastric Bypass

Liposuction is NOT a weight loss operation. It is a body sculpting operation in which no more than 10 pounds can be removed in an outpatient setting. If you have a BMI over 40 your life is in danger and you may benefit from a change in life style AND a Bariatric operation such as a gastric bypass.  If your weight is a BMI in the 28 to 35, increasing your excercising and modifying your food intake should lead to a great weight loss. If you have resistant fat pockets (ie despite eating well and exercising) then those areas can be addressed nicely with liposuction.

As regards "expensive" it would be A LOT more expensive if you had the wrong operation, or if the operation was performed by the wrong people. Do your homework. Speak to several plastic surgeons and understand what you are getting into.

Good Luck

Peter A Aldea, MD
Memphis, TN

Liposuction or Weight Loss Surgery

If you have a great deal of weight to lose, you should consult with a bariatric surgeon.  If you are close to goal weight, liposuction may be an option.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Liposuction vs. Gastric Bypass

Liposuction and gastric bypass are surgeries that address completely different problems.  If you are severely overweight then you should consult a bariatric surgeon to investigate the possibility of gastric surgery.  If you are of normal weight or perhaps mildly overweight and have specific areas that are resistant to diet and exercise then liposuction may be appropriate.  If you are not eating properly and exercising then that may need to be your first step.  Your may want to speak with your family physician or a plastic surgeon to determine what direction you should pursue.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon