Are There Negatives Associated with Lipo Laser Treatment?

I am considering getting a lipo laser treatment session done (the spa says it is a non-invasive cold laser that liquefies fat cells), but I am concerned about future uneven fat redistribution or the skin looking lumpy. Can this happen with this treatment? Are there other negatives associated with this treatment?

Doctor Answers 5

Laser liposuction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
All medical treatments have their complications. Laser liposuction is an excellent and relatively safe procedure used to remove excess fat from the body.


Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

Laser Lipo Treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question. Uneven skin can occur with all types of procedures, but some are very low risk, others are very high risk. This sounds like Cool Sculpting which is well regarded as a safe option if implemented correctly, with a proper patient selection. About 25% of the fat treated in the area is lost, but that leaves 75%. Therefore, you need to pencil out the costs, and see how much you want to remove versus how much it will cost to just do Vaser liposuction. See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon first for a consultation I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

The non invasive cold laser liposuctions have yet to prove effective.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I haven't seen any good results with the non invasive laser liposuctions since the before and after photos look the same so therefore the risks are probably minimal to zero.  The invasive laser liposuctions do have risks and problems with dimpling, nerve damage, puckered skin  and burned skin. That is why they are becoming the cheapest lipos and not done by many of us who specialize in liposuctions. There are some docs who can do a good job with laser lipos but that is not common. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 46 reviews

Are there negatives to Laser lipo?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Yes, absolutely, there are risks associated with all invasive treatments. First, make sure your doctor is a board certified plastic surgeon, not a part time laser lipo doctor. Anyone with a medical license can perform lipo, but to achieve smooth, natural results without post-operative issues it takes skill and practice. good luck!

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 93 reviews

Choose wisely

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

From your question it sounds like you are considering coolsculpting. This is not actually liposuction. Coolsculpting uses cold to induce apoptosis in fat cells. Liposuction is when the fat cells and tissue are manually removed from various parts of your body using long, thin tubes (canulas) through very small incisions. Laser liposuction involves using a laser to either help "melt" fat to make it easier to remove or to help "tighten" the skin after the liposuction is complete.

There are pros and cons to all of these techniques and I would say having an uneven distribution is a risk of all of the procedures. That's why in my opinion if you are going to have this done, I would recommend going to a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience doing this so that her or she can go over all of the risks, benefits, and alternatives with you in detail. 

I hope this is helpful and I wish you good health and happiness!

Amir Nasir, MD
Westport Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.