Is there any methods or ways to get rid of my diastasis recti?

Is there any methods or ways to get rid of my diastasis recti? How can I fix my stomach abs? I gave birth last year May 2013. And there's this bulge above my navel and it comes out everytime I put force on my tummy. Any ways to bring back my muscles abs together? Any ways and methods aside from surgery? I thinks it's just a mild one because it's not painful at all. But I'm scared thoug.

Doctor Answers 6

Rectusbdiastasi diastasis repair

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Unfortunately, there are no nonoperative measures that will repair a diastasis of these degree that you described. Abdominal exercises will not improve this and there are no pills that you can take. Diastasis repair is a routine part of an abdominoplasty and is very effective.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Are there any methods or ways to get rid of my diastasis recti?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Rectus diastasis that has persisted well after 6 months despite core strengthening following delivery is unlikely to improve.  Surgery would be your option at that point.

Find a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year, has great reviews, and has great before and after pictures.

Kenneth Hughes, MD

Los Angeles, CA

Tummy tuck after giving birth sometimes is needed

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Typically women that develop a separation of the abdominal muscles from pregnancy (rectus diastasis) will need a plication (internal corset) of the muscles to bring them back closer to the midline of the abdomen which is part of a tummy tuck.  Any excess skin is also removed at the same time.  With modern techniques for postoperative pain control, such as pain catheters or long-acting numbing medicine, the recovery tends to be decent for many patients. There really isn't a great non-surgical option. Of course, you need an examination to ensure that in fact it is a diastasis and only a board certified/eligible plastic surgeon can make that determination and treatment recommendations.  Finally, you may want to consider holding off if you are thinking of having more children in the future, as doing a tummy tuck before having additional children isn't really a great investment of your time/money since you would likely need to have the procedure redone.

Megan Jack, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

Surgical muscle repair is required to repair the diastasis recti

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Unfortunately surgery is needed to correct the split in your tummy muscles.   This is typically done during a full abdominoplasty or tummy tuck.

Diastasis recti

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
There is no way you can solve without a surgery, tummy tuck is the best solution for this problem, be sure to consult a certified plastic surgeon to get a better advise. Good luck!

Australia Fragoso-Baez, MD
Dominican Republic Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 432 reviews

Correction of Diastasis Recti

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, there is no nonsurgical treatment for the diastasis recti that has occurred as a result of your pregnancy. The muscle edges have separated and stretched apart. In order to give you a tighter flatter abdomen, those muscle edges need to be surgically re-approximated with internal sutures in the midline, typically from the lower edge of the breast bone down to the pubic bone. Muscle strengthening with sit-ups will give you more defined abs, but the space will still persist between the muscles. If you are finished having children, you may want to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to see if you are a candidate for a tummy tuck. Best of luck

Russell Sassani, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.