Is There a Way to Lessen the Appearance of my 33 Year Old Third Degree Burn (Hot Water) Scar? (photo)

The scars are in my arm and they are raised. I was less than a year old when it happened. I know that I can't completely remove them (unless there is a way) but are there procedures that can make them look inconspicuous. I'm Asian in case it matters. Thank you.

Doctor Answers 2

Burn scars and arm

Unless there is a functional issue, I do not think that many would treat this.  Sometimes serial excisions can be performed to remove parts of the scar. Some would consider tissue expansion but that will leave balloons on your arm for several months to expand the tissue.  Best to be evaluated in person.

New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Burn reconstruction

There are ways to change this with skin grafts and skin flaps but you'd need to see a plastic surgeon associated with a major burn unit because they do lots of this.  One thing is that it isn't scarless.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS
Seattle Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 67 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.