Is There an Eyelid Ptosis Correction Thats Permanent?

Hello, I'm 25 years and I was born with congenital Ptosis in my left upper eyelid. I've had 4 surgeries on it to make it even with the right eye. The last surgery was in 2002. It's starting to droop down again and I was wondering if there is a type of surgery to correct it permanently or if it will eventually go back to drooping? Thanks for your time!

Doctor Answers 2

Revisional congenital ptosis surgery

Congenital ptosis surgery can be one of the most difficult eyelid problems without great solution. If the ptosis is severe enough, the classic answer the frontalis sling, which is usually not permanent. There is another option, called full thickness lid resection ptosis surgery, that takes advantage of existing scars from previous eyelid surgeries, that may be appropriate. See an oculoplastic surgeon.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 73 reviews

Ptosis surgery

Congenital ptosis is one of the most difficult to treat conditions in the field of eyelid surgery and the results are often suboptimal and temporary. In congenital ptosis, one of the muscles which lifts the eyelid (the levator muscle) doesnt develop properly and is often very weak. Unfortunately, there is no way to strengthen the muscle and make it "normal". There are several surgeries which can be used to raise the eyelid, but none are perfect as none of them really fix the anatomic problem that causes the drooping eyelid. Frontalis sling surgery can sometimes produce a longer lasting lift, but the shape of the eyelid can change and may not match the other side. Incomplete eyelid closure can be a problem as well. I would recommend seeing an experienced oculoplastic surgeon who can examine you and review what surgeries have already been performed. Hope this explanation was helpful.

Mitesh Kapadia, MD, PhD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 167 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.