Is There Anything I Can Do to Correct my Facial Asymmetry? (photo)

Perhaps temporary cheek implants? I've heard about them a lot, but are not sure if that's the solution. I notice it quite a bit on pictures and it seems to be more noticeable to me as I've gotten older. Thank you for your recommendations.

Doctor Answers 6

Facial asymmetry

  Certainly, you can achieve "temporary" cheek augmentation with the use of facial fillers.  In the cheeks, Radiesse is an excellent option.

Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 131 reviews

Cheek Augmentation with Filler vs. Implants

Fillers, such as Radiesse (calcium hydroxyapatite) can be a great way to do a temporary cheek augmentation. If you like this treatment, then implants could be placed once the filler wears off -- generally in about 9-12 months.  Best of luck!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 110 reviews

Cheek filler

Looking at your picture, I would recommend a temporary filler for your cheeks before making the jump to surgery...that way, you don't do anything permanent but can see what a "permanent" fix would look like.  A good, in person examination is the best way to know for sure, though.  Hope this helps.


Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 11 reviews

Dealing with Facial Asymmetry

Your question is a good one, and quite common as well.  During my consultations, I always remind my patients that we are often our own worst critics.  By this I mean that we are all asymmetric to varying degrees, but for the most part we don't notice it about other people the same way we notice it about our selves.  That being said, there are several different options to help make your face more symmetric.  You need to seek consultation with a local appropriately qualified (facial) plastic surgeon.  

A physical exam will help elucidate to what degree you have a skeletal abnormality.  If you have a substantial deficiency, a facial implant may be a good long term option.   If the problem is one more of soft tissue, than fillers or fat transfer will be a better reconstructive option.   A temporary filler (like Juvederm, Restylane, Radiesse and Voluma) will be a good option regardless to give you a chance to "try out" the new look.  

Michael Bowman, MD
Roanoke Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

Radiesse for cheeks

Looking at your photo, it appears that you would benefit from filler in the right cheek.  I prefer Radiesse for this indication.  There is a new filler that should be on the market soon.  When Voluma is available, it may be a nice option as well.  Take care, Dr. Groff

William Groff, DO
San Diego Dermatologist
4.8 out of 5 stars 46 reviews

Correcting Ckeek Asymmetry

You have several alternatives to improve your asymmetry. You can use cheek implants, fillers such as Radiesse, or injections of fat harvested from other parts of your body.

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.