Is it possible that my doctor used only a half syringe of Restalyne on my lip?

I had filler done with restalyne yesterday and only had a tiny amount injected into my lip. The dr was done in under 5 minutes and only had enough to do my lip but I purchased a full syringe. Is it possible that she injected a full ml into my upper lip? They don't look like Angelina lips or anything just slightly plumper than they were.u daughter didn't even notice!

Restylane and the Lips

Restylane comes in different sizes.  There is a one cc syringe and a 0.5 cc syringe.  An experienced dermatologist could certainly inject your upper lip in five minutes.  Please contact your treating physician to find out what size syringe you purchased.  If you need more volume then you may need to return for more Restylane.  

Restylane in lip

This is a difficult question without knowing exactly what your lips look like, how much correction you need or expected, and exactly how much your physician injected... That being said- if you are happy with the shape of the lips but just wanted more volume, I would ask your injector for advice and possibly a second syringe.  Typically one syringe of Restylane in the lips would be noticeable, however Restylane does also come in a 0.5 mL syringe- so this may have been what you purchased.  Again, I would speak to your injector for further advice.

Potential Second Syringe

Gosh, this is such a difficult question to tackle. We all inject Restylane at different rates. Certainly "under five minutes" is enough time to inject a full syringe of Restylane, although it's always nice to spend some time with patients to review expectations, placement, etc. That is, your doctor can make half a syringe look great if well-placed, or 2 syringes look like not much has changed if not. Please, please talk to your injector. If you like the look but were just expecting more, maybe a second syringe makes sense?

This answer is not intended to give a medical opinion and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Bobby Buka, MD

How much filler was put in my lip

The only way to know how much was put in is to ask and clarify what you purchased. There are different sizes of Restylane - .5ml, 1.0ml, and 2.0ml. It would be fine to put .5ml in just the upper lip. 1.0ml would be a bit much, but it depends on your lips. There is no way I'd put 2.0ml in just the upper lip. So it depends, quite frankly, on what you mean you paid for with a "full syringe".

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Amount of Restylane placed into upper lip

Restylane comes in different sizes of syringes, so I'm not sure what size you purchased.  If only your upper lip was treated, I would say that a 1 cc syringe would be quite a bit but not out of the question.  It might be possible that you purchased a 0.5 cc syringe and this would not be a tremendous amount to place in the upper lip.  The only way to know for sure is to ask the physician who treated you.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon