Is There Alternative to Surgery for Me? (photo)

I am not keen for surgery for three reasons, I do not have the money / It is not the right time in my life / & I am a bit scared. In my case, is there an alternative treatment or combination of training and non-surgical treatment that can improve it? Ref to my previous q and answers from Dr.s. Thank you so much.

Male breast reduction options

I would want to examine you personally to determine if your extra tissue appears to be fat or actual breast tissue.  The size will certainly go down with weight loss-probably more helpful to address from a diet than an exercise standpoint.  If it is indeed mostly breast tissue the only way to address it is surgically.  If it is fat, then Coolsculpting, which is a non-surgical treatment that freezes and gets rid of fat might be helpful

Gynecomastia (excess breast tissue in men) is best treated with liposuction or surgical removal.

Unfortunately, training and exercise usually do not eliminate excess breast tissue in men.  Weight loss helps, of course, but usually not enough to get rid of the problem.  There are two options.  One is liposuction alone, which can reduce the fullness about 50%.  The other is liposuction in combination with direct surgical excision of breast tissue, which can remove all the excess tissue.  Remember, liposuction removes fat but not breast tissue.  Fat makes up about 50% of the tissue, so if you want a more dramatic result, simultaneous surgical excision is best.  I have some examples in this section of my website if you want to read more.  The surgery is hugely beneficial psychologically for men.  There is no effective substitute.   So save up and have it done properly.  You will be glad you did.  The more you know, the less scared you will be.  Go to an experienced surgeon that has before and after photos that you would accept.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Non-surgical options?

You appear to be a textbook case for male gynecomastia.  This could result from a number of things which your doctor could work up, however, at the end of the day, no matter what reason might be discovered for the enlarged breasts, they will still be enlarged and will still require surgery to correct.  There is no non-surgical correction that I am aware of for this.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

No non-surgical alternatives for gynecomastia

Really no non-surgical alternative.  You could consider an endocrine work up to determine if you have low testosterone levels and if so this can be corrected but it most likely will not make the breasts decrease in size.  The surgical option would be liposuction and an open subcutaneous mastecomy for gynecomastia.  

Your options

I know of no FDA approved non surgical/non invasive treatment for gynecomastia. If you are seeking non surgical options for mild gynecomastia, I think that Vanquish which uses RF energy, or UltraShape that uses ultrasound rather than Cool Sculpt would be the best option though all are off FDA usage. Surgery is the best option for the vast majority of patients with gynecomastia.
#gynecomastia
#malebreastreduction

Non-surgical Solution for Gynecomastia

Unfortunately surgery is the only solution for true gynecomastia. If your breasts are caused by fat alone, weight loss can make a difference, but most men have both fat and breast tissue and by removing only the fat the remaining breast tissue may be even more prominent. Many men use compression garments that can be found online, but they can be uncomfortable in warm weather and do not help when you want to go shirtless. Good Luck

Miguel Delgado, MD

Weight loss may give limited improvement

You have the typical findings of gynecomastia.  Weight loss will yield limited improvement.  Training and other nonsurgical methods will not improve gynecomastia.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon