Will the Tummy Tuck Scar Line Indents Go Away?

I am 3 months post op and very pleased with my lipo and tummy tuck. The only issue I noticed is, I have an indentation in my tummy tuck scar line ever since I got the surgery. Will this go away? If not, what can be done to fix it? Thank you so much!

The Abdominoplasty Incision

An abdominoplasty incision is generally carried from hip-to-hip and close to the pubic hairline. In order to obtain a satisfactory closure, the tissues are closed in layers: first the superficial fascia (Scarpa's fascia) is reapproximated, then the dermis is closed, both using suture material. If a large amount of abdominal tissue was removed, there can be occasional rippling or dimpling of the closure. In other cases, if the deeper layer is not closed symmetrically, there can be similar contour irregularities. In either situation, the scar should settle and smooth out over time. Scar massage may be helpful in this regard and silicone strips or topical ointment may be applied. In general, 12 months are allowed for scar maturation prior to considering secondary revision procedures.

Treatment of abdominal scar

Your abdominal scars should do far better during the next several months,as long as you massage and rub them, as well as to apply scar fade or use silicone sheeting. on the surface of the scars.  Don't despair.  Always know that if they don't improve fully, limited scar revision can also be perfomed.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

As the swelling above and below the scar resolves, and the scar matures, the entire area will improve over the next several months. All the best. 

The indented line along the incision should get better with time after abdominoplasty.

Swelling will create the appearance of a depression along the line of the scar. As this subsides the scar itself will become flesh with the skin.

These might go away with time once the swelling resolves. Otherwise, they will need to be revised under local anesthesia.

Indentation After Tummy Tuck Scar

That indentation area should flatten out with more time. It's not unusual to have puckering and such. Give it a few more months and I'm sure that area will work itself out. 

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Indentations will get better along your abdominoplasty scar

Your scar will change dramatically over the next 3 to 6 months.  Continue scar massage and consider a silicone product over the scars for the next 3 months.  This could be silicone gel sheeting or a liquid silicone product.  

Scar line indents

Hi Angel777.  From your picture, I think you have a great result.  You need to wait about 3-6 months for your swelling to resolve.  During that time contour irregularities like the ones I see should go away.  If not, see you plastic surgeon about a  scar revision or fat-grafting.   I have done these procedures for my patients in my office, under local anesthesia, and without additional charge.

Lewis Ladocsi, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon