What is the best treatment for my eye bags? (photo)

Looking for an Atlanta doctor to do my eyes.

Doctor Answers 4

How to treat under eye bags

Hello and thank you for your question.

The best method for treating under eye bags would be a lower eyelid blepharoplasty. I routinely perform this procedure in my office. General anesthesia is not needed and the incision is never seen because I make it inside the eyelid!

I recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to get more specific answers to your questions which can best be addressed after a thorough history and examination is performed.

New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 15 reviews

Restylane for Eye Bags

Injections with Restylane or other hyaluronic acid fillers work great for early eye bags. Under eye bag treatment is an advanced, technically more difficult injection procedure. Please seek out an experienced cosmetic physician with expertise in this treatment.

Robert Strimling, MD
Las Vegas Dermatologist
4.3 out of 5 stars 9 reviews

Treatment of lower eye bags

There are many treatments for lower eye bags, and choosing the proper one depends on the person's exam, goals and preferences.  The treatments range from fillers or using one's own fat to fill in hollowed out areas or surgery to restore a youthful appearance to the lower eyelids. Based on your photos, it appears that you could achieve a nice result from fillers or from surgery. Injectables such as Juvederm can be used with only topical anesthetic, but they only last six months to a year.   Surgical options often provide a longer lasting result but necessitate more recovery time and are more generally more expensive. It would be best to have a consultation with an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon in your area.  

Laurence Weider, MD
Dallas Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 99 reviews

Options For Treating Eye Bag

Eye bags typically form as the fat that used to fill the lower eyelid region either descends or disappears. If you look at a picture of you in your 20's you will see that the area under your eyes are fuller. The treatment typically isn't by removing skin but be replacing the missing tissue. Fillers can accomplish this but are temporary. They also carry certain risks.

I think that first you need a careful exam by a board certified plastic surgeon or oculoplastic surgeon. If indeed the problem is a loss of fat, then a fat transfer is an excellent choice. Fat can be removed in small quantities from your abdomen or hip (wherever you want), and then processed. In can then be inject through very small needles into the bag area to restore the volume you had when you were younger. I would suggest an in-person consultation with a couple of different surgeons in your area. Best of luck to you.

Al Rosenthal, MD
Lawrenceville Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.