The Best Solution for Sunken/droopy Eyes? (photo)

I am not sure whether my problem lies within the hollow just under the eye or if the eyelid requires attention as it droops somewhat. I am 35 years old and would have a preference for non invasive surgery to improve the eye area as opposed to the more invasive type. I would be grateful for any advise that anyone can offer.

Doctor Answers 7

What Will Help Me With My Sunken Droopy Eyes?

A very experienced Board Certified plastic surgeon or a Board Certified dermatologist with a reasonable amount of luck should improve the hollowness under your eyes on the first injection, but by the second or third injection, you will wish you never had it done.  Things get lumpy and rarely do you get what you are looking for, even on the first go round.

I think your major problem is loose skin which is directly caused by the loose muscle underneath it.  A lower eyelid blepharoplasty with a muscle sling would tighten your muscles, get rid of the wrinkles under your eyes, decrease the hyperpigmentation you are covering with makeup, and improve the hollow appearance at the inside lower aspect of your eyelid. 

I understand your preferences for a nonsurgical procedure, but I believe ultimately, you wish you had done the above listed procedure since lesser invasive procedures over time are doomed to failure and disappointment.

Injectable for Sunken, Droopy Eyes

For hollowness beneath the eye, I would recommend a hyaluronic acid injectable filler or a Vampire Facelift to add volume in that area. For my patients with tear trough deformity, I sometimes perform tear-trough implant surgery. Tear trough implants are made of silicone – a soft rubber-like material that is inserted through a small incision and placed over the bone mass under the eyelid to augment its shape and create a more youthful appearance. A proper consultation is necessary for treatment advice.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.3 out of 5 stars 70 reviews

Lower lid hollowness

If you have hollowness in the lower lids, you may be a good candidatae for injectable products like restylane to fill the area.  Good luck.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Filler for dark circles

You have some fullness to your eyelids along with hollowness underneath the fullness, creating a shadow effect with dark circles.  Filler injection are a good option for you if you are not interested in surgery.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 72 reviews

Fillers for lower eyelid hollowness.

Fillers for lower eyelid hollowness can be done as the simplest approach. These would be Radiesse or Juvederm. The photos you show have too much light and you are smiling which changes what I need to see to give a proper opinion.

Toby Mayer, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

Under eye hollows: best treatment?

Hyaluronic acid fillers work well for the tear trough deformity seen in your picture.  They will last 6-12 months and can be adjusted with different techniques of injection.  As far as drooping, the upper and lower eyelids look to be in a normal position and I wouldn't recommend any invasive treatment to change this.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

Restylane is a great first line option

The photo is a bit washed out, so difficult to say for sure, but it seems that you have what's called a "tear trough deformity" of the lower eyelids. This means that there is a bit of hollowness at the level of transition between the eyelids and the cheek, where your tears would flow if you were crying.

As far as non-invasive treatments go, hyaluronic acid injection [Restylane or Juvederm] are excellent options here. The usually last 6 months and maybe up to a year, are reversible if you don't like the results.

Make sure your surgeon is highly experienced in this area as it can be quite unforgiving due to the thinness of the eyelid skin.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 37 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.