What is the best way to smooth out these types of very noticeable acne scars for my olive/tan skin? (photo)

I have tried Sculptura and DermaPen, but I would like a much more effective solution to achieve a smoother skin texture.

Acne Scars in Olive/Tan Skin

Acne scars are now easier to treat than even before in darker skin types.  I have found the eMatrix the safest and most effective laser to treat acne scars in darker skin.  It will take several treatments to have a smoother complexion but the results are great. 

Acne Scars

Acne scars are tough! Aggressive laser resurfacing can help (most skin types do well, even olive skin type but you must see a VERY experienced dermatologist). Sometimes a filler like Restylane/Juvederm or Belotero can improve them dramatically without much down time.

Kimberly Butterwick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne scar treatment

Sculptra is a good start but I would add a moderately aggressive re-surfacing treatment like dermabrasion or fractional laser. These two options will go deeper than most peels or superficial lasers and thus address the scarring much better. Winter is the best time to do something like this as you need to avoid sun exposure for several weeks after treatment and I would plan on 7-10 days for healing - skin will be very red and sometimes a little "raw", which requires a little TLC with Aquaphor. The results can be amazing! Good Luck!

C. Andrew Salzberg, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Laser Resurfacing for Acne Scars

Hi AG. We would suggest fractional laser resurfacing or even punch excision for the larger deeper scars.

Derma pen does not have the heating and collagen stimulation effect that laser resurfacing has, but laser resurfacing will also have about 7 days of recovery.

Also, you should know what depth your practitioner plans to resurface. In someone with your cheek profile, we would suggest at least 700-800 microns (fractional mode). This depth will give you a better chance of getting through the depth of the acne scars you have and releasing some of the hard tissue that makes them up. This in turn can help you achieve a better texture. 3 treatments would be recommended over 3 months.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

What is the best way to smooth out these types of very noticeable acne scars for my olive/tan skin?

try multiple "derma pen' therapies with nano fat grafts. At least 6 sessions every 2 months is my recommendation. Good Luck.