What is the Single Best Way to Tighten Aging Skin on the Face and Neck Barring Surgery?

I am 49 with loose, creased skin on my neck, hooded eyelids & jowls. I'd like something subtle but creams, AHA, etc. haven't been effective.Cost is definitely a consideration but I would rather pay a little more for treatment that lasts longer. There are so many options & I have no idea what would be best. If it helps to know, I smoked for years but use an e-cig now for 1 year. My skin quality is probably slightly better than average for my age. I have a fair complexion with some sun spots.

Treatment for Tightening Aging Skin

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

We do a lot of laser skin tightening with the GentleYag for skin laxity and aging, and the results are very good.  It is a laser treatment which takes about 15 minutes, is minimally painful and requires no downtime.  The heat generated by the laser leads to collagen contraction which results in overlying skin tightening.  Our patients are very satisfied, especially given the ease of treatment and the fair cost.  Typically a series of a few treatments spaced a few weeks apart is more effective and worthwhile than just one treatment alone.  Click on the link below to view a video demonstration of this treatment. 

Boca Raton Dermatologist

The Single Best Way to Tighten Aging Skin on the Face and Neck

It's difficult to assess online without photos to view. Depending on the level of laxity, the effects of a neck lift will certainly outlast the effects of non-surgical treatments. Non-surgical procedures can only temporary resolve the issue and require few to several attempts or treatment appointments. The presence of banding down the front of the #neck, and, amount of excess skin and condition of your skin are among some factors which determine if you are a #candidate for #rejuvenating the neck. During an in-person examination, your chin will be evaluated along with the neck and jawline. 

Also, if deemed a candidate, you may want to consider Lite-lift™ which is an affordable, quick, and effective innovative facelift developed by board-certified plastic surgeons Dr. Larry Nichter and myself. The goal is to provide a less invasive natural looking option for both men and women desiring to refresh their appearance with less downtime and risks. The LiteLift® is a “real” facelift, which does address the underlying muscle, tissue and overlying skin.

This is a modified facelift that can be performed in the office with a local anesthetic and improve signs of aging around the neck, jawbone and lower face. These procedures are not "Thread-lifts" or "String-lifts". We do not use the "barbed" sutures employed in these other lifting operations. The Lite-lift™ uses longer lasting techniques. Because the incisions are limited, there is less bruising, swelling and healing time for most patients. Many patients can be back to work in one to two weeks looking rested and more youthful.

A board certified plastic surgeon should evaluate both your anatomical features and aesthetic goals to suggest which procedure best suits your needs. In some cases there may be more than one option to choose from. If you are not a candidate at the time of your #consultation, your board surgeon can recommend non-surgical alternatives to address your concern.

Best Way To Tighten Aging Skin Barring Surgery

To tighten the skin, the most effective minimally-invasive option would be ThermiTight. Using a very thin wand right under the skin to apply radio frequency to targeted areas can help to melt away fat deposits, increase collagen production, and tighten overlying skin. The cost for this procedure is typically half the cost of a traditional facelift. ThermiTight is an excellent option for those short on time and/or funds but still desire an improvement in appearance. Keep in mind that a certain level of sagging can only be corrected by surgical options, so it's best to consult with a surgeon to determine the most appropriate course of action for you.

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon